LegacyGT.com

Turbo Failure: Keep or Sell?

I have a 2005 Outback XT with ~160K miles. I bought it 3 years ago with ~130K miles and really enjoy the car and hoped I could have it last 200K+ (60K service immediately upon buying car, 30K mileage turbo from someone who was upgrading theirs, oil line filter, catless uppipe, timely oil changes).

Unfortunately, despite what I did to try and keep the turbo healthy, it failed. This coincidentally happened after front end accident (passenger bumper/headlight) and turbo failed within first 30 miles of getting car back (feel free to let me know of anything I can do to convince insurance company to cover that claim... hard to believe it's coincidence).

Now I have a choice to make: sell or keep the car.

I fear if I keep it... it'll become a money pit.

However, the car is worth maybe ~5-6K WITH A TURBO INSTALLED. Let's say that cost 1K. At best, I'll be netting $5K to put towards another car.

Noone cares that I put the catless uppipe or oil line. Noone cares I put new head unit and tints. Noone cares my tires barely have 10K miles. These will hardly make the above price budget. But people DO care that the sunroof doesn't work (the front part of the sunroof doesn't lift and the rear portion then won't close back at times so I don't open at all anymore, I don't mind it) and that will certainly drop the price (as will the fact that now it's been in an accident).

If I keep the car, then perhaps going with the BNR 16G is a better choice (though is that a good idea on a high mileage car? I've heard shops won't even tune a high mileage engine) because it's new and a lot cheaper than OEM.

If I sell, I will throw a used turbo on there. Or sell without replacing the turbo at all?

I'm just looking for any and all opinions.

Also, anyone know a good shop in Westchester County, NY? I would need to tow the car, so can't go very far unfortunately.

srry to hear that,that sucks! but normally its not that easy as changing the turbo and be on your merry way, like 80% of the time from what i've read in this forum,debris from the turbo will get to the engine(rod bearings usually) and wreck havoc depending on how catastrophic the turbo fail was.

I would suggest maybe checking your oil first for bearing particles or even taking the oil pan out and inspect there for debris because if u do have debris in there.....you probably #ynansb.....

My mechanic seems to think that it should be okay, nothing catastrophic. The car was driven ~1 mile and was then towed.

If it is indeed catastrophic and the engine needs to be replaced or something... at that point I'd likely scrap the car instead because definitely not worth 5K+ to me especially when the car has other high mileage wear and tear.

But, assuming it is as it seems to be... changing the turbo and be on my merry way, what should my decision be?

Honestly, it sounds like just from the fact that most turbo failures are catastrophic that maybe replacing the turbo and simply selling is the best option.

My mechanic seems to think that it should be okay, nothing catastrophic. The car was driven ~1 mile and was then towed.

If it is indeed catastrophic and the engine needs to be replaced or something... at that point I'd likely scrap the car instead because definitely not worth 5K+ to me especially when the car has other high mileage wear and tear.

But, assuming it is as it seems to be... changing the turbo and be on my merry way, what should my decision be?

Honestly, it sounds like just from the fact that most turbo failures are catastrophic that maybe replacing the turbo and simply selling is the best option.

did ur mechanic drain the oil and check it for particles?! if ur mechanic thinks that is ok and u seem to be ok with his determination,then at least flush the engine,change the oil filter as a preventive maintenance! im pretty sure someone else is going to chime in but i wouldn't trust just putting a new turbo back in and say its ok.....just my opinion do....

about 267k on my GT. about to put in my 4th turbo. each replaced around 100k. the one that's in now is the first to fail while driving it. however nothing happened. just to be safe I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs. they confirmed everything was ok. no metal shavings.

put a refurbished one in. cost you sub $600. I have someone if you need it

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

srry to hear that,that sucks! but normally its not that easy as changing the turbo and be on your merry way, like 80% of the time from what i've read in this forum,debris from the turbo will get to the engine(rod bearings usually) and wreck havoc depending on how catastrophic the turbo fail was.

I mean you should check, but I suspect 90% of the time the turbo gets replaced without other issue. No one ever posts "hey guys, things went better than expected!"

The various subaru mechanics I've spoken to re: the turbo taking out the motor say it is fairly rare.

I mean clearly you want to be careful as it is a real possibility, but I wouldn't assume it happens in most cases.

I mean you should check, but I suspect 90% of the time the turbo gets replaced without other issue. No one ever posts "hey guys, things went better than expected!"

The various subaru mechanics I've spoken to re: the turbo taking out the motor say it is fairly rare.

I mean clearly you want to be careful as it is a real possibility, but I wouldn't assume it happens in most cases.

understand your point,but im only referencing what ive read in this forum,for example this http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html :)

Now i do hope his case outcome turns out to be good!

Nah, you should be fine.

Replace the turbo and be on your merry way. Ignore any of the threads we have here that discuss, at length, the things that happen when pieces of your turbo's journal bearings and/or shaft enter your oil system -- It's nothing to worry about at all. The likelihood of little glittery pieces of doom causing, say, a spun bearing are pretty good, but I wouldn't worry about it. At 160k, you've got PLENTY of life left in that motor and there's no way it's gonna cost you $7500-ish to get it back on the road again.

Welcome! Glad you could join us here!

Nah, you should be fine.

Replace the turbo and be on your merry way. Ignore any of the threads we have here that discuss, at length, the things that happen when pieces of your turbo's journal bearings and/or shaft enter your oil system -- It's nothing to worry about at all. The likelihood of little glittery pieces of doom causing, say, a spun bearing are pretty good, but I wouldn't worry about it. At 160k, you've got PLENTY of life left in that motor and there's no way it's gonna cost you $7500-ish to get it back on the road again.

Welcome! Glad you could join us here!

......:lol: took u long enough to get here.....

OP, check with www.AZPinstalls.com They are in northern NJ. They can fix you up.

Do you have a video of how much play is in the turbo ? Did the blades hit the housing ?

Here's mine,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

I had no metal in the oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP, check with www.AZPinstalls.com They are in northern NJ. They can fix you up.

Do you have a video of how much play is in the turbo ? Did the blades hit the housing ?

Here's mine,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

I had no metal in the oil.

sup Max. mine just went a month ago on my way to work. I limped home with no issues. it's been sitting across the street for a month now waiting for the weather to clear up enough so I can swap it out.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Seems Tris is still a little off his game. He has missed a couple #ynansb opportunities lately... :spin:

Nah. In this particular case, since the buyer has recourse, I vote for a mulligan and/or a redo-

OP, if the dealership is coming to get it, what have you said are your terms? Fix it (for free? Not likely.), or just plain, take it back, gimme my money - ?

I'd get some beer, turn on some tunes, a good ball game, etc. pull the motor and go thru the whole thing. leakdown tests, compression tests. In the meantime, look for all the broken vanes off your turbo wheel. Put it back together and drive it. Special tools: magnet.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for replies everyone. I still haven't made a decision since seems all shops near me are overpriced and not experts in this.

I actually have to AZP before (when I got the car). Unfortunately, it's $300 to tow it out there. Still, they do good work and even with the tow the pricing comes out same (cheaper when consider them putting in new turbo).

It seems most say keep the car but I'm scared of more headaches and don't NEED a turbo car and would be happy with increased power of maybe the H6. The tough part is... after this is done, I assume car is worth 5-6K. And I'll have just put 1.5k in it (plus other work had done). There are a lot of sunk costs and would love if I could keep driving and ride it to 200k+ issue free.

I know it isnt guaranteed though, even if you guys make me feel optimistic.

So do I keep it or sell it and end up buying another Outback anyway (likely 3.0)... Which again would be used and could have more issues.

I guess the question is, I fix the car and now have either 5K car to sell or keep. What is more likely to be cheaper in long run... This XT or the H6? And do I get a similarly priced H6 or pay extra for lower miles and longer life?

i mean lets be honest here. No car is going to be issue free. if you know of one...let me know. I want to buy it. if you didn't "need" a turbo car then why did you get one?

ultimately it's your decision not ours. we've given you our opinion...you just need to decide.

like stated before "no car is issue free",u might be able to get another used vehicle but u never know what to expect if maintenance records are not available or not back tracked.Even then,its a hit or miss!

IMHO if i had the money to fix the legacy,i would! reason being is that because the major maintenance was performed while "i owned it", it gives me the peace of mind that the car is taken care of properly.If a new engine is installed,and everything was done properly,its 5k that i dont have to worry about until the next 100k miles if properly maintained.

Now,i did hear from MrTris in one thread,that the H6 engines are solid platforms!

My ej257 just turned 50,000 trouble free miles at 21psi. I'm amazed at how well the engine runs. The car is a blast to drive. You know how some guy's have a high HP car for the weekends...I get to drive mine every day.

You did read my click here link didn't you.

Hey join AAA with 100 mile towing then tell them next week you need a tow...get there cash back VISA card charge every thing you buy, you get cash back that more then covers the membership fee. I have been doing that for years. You also get money back on buying gas.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a question since were on the turbo topic... anyone have any experience with the "generic" vf40's that are on ebay and amazon etc.. new for like $400? Im thinking of replacing my turbo and my cheap-skate side is thinking of getting one of these, that being said.... if it's going to cause a bunch of issues then my cheep-skate side will let me spend more on an OEM turbo to avoid paying more down the road lol

I have a question since were on the turbo topic... anyone have any experience with the "generic" vf40's that are on ebay and amazon etc.. new for like $400? Im thinking of replacing my turbo and my cheap-skate side is thinking of getting one of these, that being said.... if it's going to cause a bunch of issues then my cheep-skate side will let me spend more on an OEM turbo to avoid paying more down the road lol

Send a PM to JmP6889928.

Stop buying car parts on eBay.

I had glitter and thought flush was good enough and left the oil cooler alone. Threw the VF46 on like a MF'n G and went on like today was a good day. 2 months later, it was at that moment when....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mHze_WKcIpw/TApEtUSSwzI/AAAAAAAABJY/ahP14gMzcns/s1600/vlcsnap-2010-06-05-14h35m24s230.png

Send a PM to JmP6889928.

Stop buying car parts on eBay.

I have to start to stop, I had an 02 wrx for 5 years and never put any ebay parts on it ;)

Oh and jmp actually pmd me already so I'll see what he says. Either way I'm yanking the stock turbo for an inspection soon. If it's bad I'll leave the car torn down until I find a replacement

Ultimately, I do enjoy the turbo. I just don't think it's worth a headache (naive to believe throwing in new turbo oil line filter would help I guess). I don't think any car is worth that, really.

But as mentioned, all cars have issues and the thing about this one..

Well, I put new tires 10K miles ago, new alternator too. That's ~1.5K. i put in oil line and catless uppipe and the 40K service when I got it. Then there is a minimal of 1K for turbo intalled. All in all, outside the car itself (7K), thats over 4K. It's safe to say more like 5K maybe. Thats 12K and if I sell... I get 5K.

I don't mind too much since had car 3 years and it's enjoyable car. It's obviously more than one wants to spend on a used car but shit happens.

I could take the ~5K I sell it for and buy an H6. But things like tires, the alternator, the battery, wheel bearings, etc. could all go and then I'd wish I stuck with what I had / knew.

I know its my decision. I greatly appreciate all the help. I'm leaning towards keeping honestly but we will see. It depends on the state of turbo failure I suppose.

Archived