LegacyGT.com

Mother's Clay Bar and Lubricant Frozen - Will it do harm to use when it thaws out?

So, I bought some new supplies to prep for the impending spring. However, I wasn't even thinking about the stuff freezing during transit. The Mother's Clay Bar Kit sat outside in the mailbox overnight. The lubricant is definitely frozen and the clay bars are hard as a rock. However, can I still use them when they thaw?

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

I think they'd both still be fine to use, i'd probably shake the lubricant up while using it to ensure everything stays mixed after the freeze. If contact mothers though and get their thoughts on this. If you do, let us know what they say

Yup, no problem with those products freezing. On other products it can cause things to separate, but not clay and clay lube. The lubricant is basically just slippery water anyway. Not much to that. And the clay is like any other clay. If it gets cold then it gets hard, but when it warms up it goes right back to normal. No harm done. Just keep them indoors and you'll be fine.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's a good question. I exhausted my Muthas spray last summer doing my car. Anyone got an MSDS on this stuff? That should shed some light.

I can't speak for Muthas wax (I use the 3 stage one myself and the results are excellent, BTW) but Turdlewax separates when its frozen. Its still usable afterward but it coagulates and no amount of shaking will get it together. Muthas is easier to rub off and has a superior shine, but I don't know that its actually a tougher wax though.

Yeah, Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant seperates too. I've left that stuff in my car over the winter. (Of course that was probably multiple freeze cycles.)

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

I keep most of my sealants and liquid waxes in a cooler in the winter. It helps keep them from freezing. In fact, if you keep them in any kind of cupboard in your garage then you can usually prevent them from freezing, but I have been there before where that just isn't an option. Bring them indoors if you feel it is going to be too cold. Nothing sucks worse than a frozen bottle of $50 sealant. lol Trust me....

So I typically use soapy water for clay lube unless I buy clay that comes with it's own spray. I just haven't found the value for paying money for lube when soapy water works just as well. Yeah it is a little messier, but the next step is polishing the paint anyway, so who cares about a couple soap streaks when it is all said and done? A quick rinse of the car after you are done claying gets rid of most of that anyway. Actual clay lube is nice, but simply isn't worth the money. It's not like the clay picks up stuff better if you use it or anything like that.

You can dip an empty (or re-purposed bottle from another product) into your wash bucket before you wash your car and that is just the right amount of soap for clay lube. Do it before you wash the car though. ;) No sense in using dirty water. You could also just squirt a little bit into a bottle. Leave a little air at the top so you can shake it up, but it tends to do that pretty well all by itself. Use too much soap and it will just coat your clay and eventually disintegrate it, so go easy on it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived