LegacyGT.com

I'm a big fan of manual transmissions. Do you ever regret going with the 5EAT? I'm loosing the battle between a manny and an slush box with the wife. Not giving up hope yet...but pretty sure I'll cave.

You weren't asking me in particular, but I went from a six speed sport sedan to the 5EAT. My opinion might be worth $.02.

The 5EAT is not the best auto tranny on the market, but it's far from the worst. I tend to keep the lever in sport mode, because I think it makes a significant improvement--especially when driving in hilly terrain.

Shifting for myself in manual mode is not nearly as enjoyable as with my former manual-equipped cars, but I'm sure I'm still getting used to doing so, and with additional practice, it'll get better. It's not a matter of missed shifts, of course, but there is a trick to getting the best performance and "feel" out of the transmission, and so far I haven't been able to consistently find the right combination of speed, timing, gears, and rpms. I've only used this feature about ten times so far; hopefully I'll master it soon.

Since I do a lot more driving in traffic than I used to, the automatic has been helpful. On top of that, I drive more economically and less aggressively in automatic mode than I ever did in my S60 R. I'm sure this saves more gas than the auto tranny wastes, not to mention potential speeding fines. :D

Shifting for myself in manual mode is not nearly as enjoyable as with my former manual-equipped cars, but I'm sure I'm still getting used to doing so, and with additional practice, it'll get better. It's not a matter of missed shifts, of course, but there is a trick to getting the best performance and "feel" out of the transmission, and so far I haven't been able to consistently find the right combination of speed, timing, gears, and rpms. I've only used this feature about ten times so far; hopefully I'll master it soon.

Since I do a lot more driving in traffic than I used to, the automatic has been helpful. On top of that, I drive more economically and less aggressively in automatic mode than I ever did in my S60 R. I'm sure this saves more gas than the auto tranny wastes, not to mention potential speeding fines. :D

I have to agree with that - I own my Legacy since May last year and used the manual shift option never more than for 3 minutes each time. The automatic mode is just good enough for daily driving. Maybe I am just too lazy. I also used the sport mode only a few times. After some time I am now used to the standard automatic mode and now how much I have to press the go-pedal to get the right speed.

And, I also have to agree that this car leads to a more relaxed driving style - at least most of the time. On the other hand I already found myself hunting down the road ... :redface: (And I am not talking about the autobahn)

It gets to 100 mph just too quick ... :eek:

I'm a big fan of manual transmissions. Do you ever regret going with the 5EAT? I'm loosing the battle between a manny and an slush box with the wife. Not giving up hope yet...but pretty sure I'll cave.

That's why I'm a lucky man, my wife was just as hungry for the manual as I was, - French - so those Europeans love manuals! :)

• 1 month later...

According to the UK website the 3.0R wagon is rated at 8.5 seconds to 100K (62 MPH) with the 5 EAT.

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/2D5D6B75DE505FAB80256F2C002EBB35?Opendocument

The 3.0r Spec B Legacy sedan is rated at 8.2 with 5EAT and 6.9 with 6MT.

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/A6F6CE52F6337AD680256FC100357B81?Opendocument

Archived