LegacyGT.com

EGR Valve Compatibility

Does anyone know if an EGR valve from a 96 Legacy 2.2L would work with my 97 Legacy 2.2L? They have different Subaru part numbers (14710AA530 & 14710AA611)

The vacuum port is on a different side of the valve and the current vacuum hose won't reach. I'm worried a longer hose will kink & interfere/get burnt/etc or that the specs are different in the older part number.

egrvalve1.JPG.dd92173a93f63b05aedc7452e5d34f59.JPG

egrvalve2.JPG.182270bedc92226cb81e87b2ad9532c0.JPG

I put an egr valve from a 98ej25 on my 95ej22. They looked the same, and had the hose connector on the same side. Everything worked fine. I would assume in your case it would be fine, just get a longer hose that will reach. I can't think of any reason why anything would go wrong. If it's not compatible you might just end up with a P0400 egr flow malfunction code or another one of those egr codes.

The thing is, I'd have to buy one to find out if it would work or throw a P0400 error. And probably not be able to return it, since i knew it might not fit to begin with. And EGR valves are bit pricey for our cars.

I think both the examples you guys posted use the same EGR valve (pre97 EJ22 and post98 EJ25)

what Pxxxx code are you trying to fix?

buy a used one and see if that helps?

if buying new, buy the right one?

using a longer hose will not be a problem if you route it correctly and use zip ties to hold i in place.

buy a foot more than you need.

if you think you need 12", buy 24" just to be safe.

ok, you have found the leak.

i still do not understand why you are considering an EGR valve that does not fit your engine?

if you are buying a new one just get the right one.

personally i would try used for a few bucks.

somebody is bound to have one somewhere sitting around.

especially if it is not an exact match.

my guess is that the same year EGR valve from a different model subaru will be an exact match.

suabru does not like to use different parts on different cars, in the same years.

it can happen, but usually only in ''transition'' years, like 1999.

Ah. Sorry for the confusion. I bought a used replacement valve off eBay that was supposed to fit my vehicle. It was in very nice condition and was $50. Turns out it was from a 96.

I wanted to know if it was worth using or if I need the correct style. I couldn't find any used ones for my style, and the new ones are over $160.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was able to return the one that didn't fit and find a used part that does fit.

However, the correct fitting one still has a vacuum leak (a little bit smaller than the original). The idle is a bit better now, but still having issues. Idle will surge & pulsate. Sometimes it will even stall.

So I think the best course of action would be to get a new one, but I just want to confirm this is likely the source of problem before dropping $140+ on it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

the new valve has a vac leak in the exact some spot

then that is not the problem.

the chances that you have 3 parts, 2 used and 1new, that are all bad is almost impossible.

look for another leak.

maybe very close to the valve.

is it the pipe?

Ok, I'll keep searching for the elusive vacuum leak. I'm almost positive it's the EGR valve though, the engine revs no matter what angle or direction I spray the metal rod from.

Any thoughts on the strange exhaust sounds? Potential cause or another symptom?

exhaust noise go faster/slower with revs? or stay the same throughout?

As far as egr goes, are you sure it's the "valve" and not the vacuum solenoid thing? If it's always given vacuum rather than only when the ecu says so....then it'd be stuck open yes? And open EGR would also cause you to run rich as the ECM wouldn't pull fuel. Sorry, my mechanical knowledge is mostly domestic and from a general view standpoint.....so if I'm ass backwards on my thinking here....feel free to ignore.

Well an update. Found another vac leak (EVAP hose from purge solenoid valve to purge fuel line)

Replaced it and the idle is 97% better, no stalling, very little pulsating, no funky sounds coming from exhaust.

But now P0170 is back, and the EGR valve still appears to have a vac leak too.

Archived