LegacyGT.com

Is factory command start for 2018 any good?

I remember reading on the outback forums a few years back, that lots of people had problems with the command start. This would have been around 2013/14.

Would prefer to get a factory install due to needing only one keyfob (having a separate one is just a pet peeve of mine). I had it on a previous lincoln and caddy, and it worked well. My assumption looking at subi website is that this is what you get is you select that accessory.

Any experience?

I have an aftermarket remote start (Compustar) and I can start it by locking the car 3 times with the OEM Push Button Start keyfob. I do not need to carry an extra fob, although I do for increased range.

I believe its Compustar Ft-7200s. I'm at work now, but I can look at the paperwork tonight and let you know.

I went aftermarket because the engine does not shut off when you open a door to get in. The engine does shut off with the OEM Subaru starter and that was the deal breaker for me.

I have the OEM remote start and it's brilliant. Yes, it's a second key fob, but the range is excellent. And, it's two-way, so I hear a beep when it's activated.

With the push-button start models, I believe the default fob also works and you don't need the second fob (but has more limited range for the default fob)

I have factory Remote start as well. It works off both FOBs. To date, I have not been far enough away that I have needed the 2nd FOB so I keep it in the glove box. The "long range" works, but the key FOB does great from a 2nd story window line of site to the car at about 50 to 75 feet or so. I have not tested range. The fact the car shuts off and I get in a warm car and push the start button all in about 5 seconds is not a factor to me anyway. Now, if I could find the wire on that annoying seat belt chime!

Subaru Remote Starter systems work well, to the fact that it does what its designed to do. The major issue most people have with it is the fact that once you Remote Start the vehicle, when you open any door, or the front hood, the engine shuts off. Where as most aftermarket systems will only shut of if you depress the Brake Pedal prior to putting the key in the ignition.

I have factory Remote start as well. It works off both FOBs. To date, I have not been far enough away that I have needed the 2nd FOB so I keep it in the glove box. The "long range" works, but the key FOB does great from a 2nd story window line of site to the car at about 50 to 75 feet or so. I have not tested range. The fact the car shuts off and I get in a warm car and push the start button all in about 5 seconds is not a factor to me anyway. Now, if I could find the wire on that annoying seat belt chime!

In order to disable the seatbelt chime, get in your car and shut the doors. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to "RUN" but do not Start the vehicle. Now, you have to use 2 hands, but take your seatbelt (Drivers) and buckle and unbuckle in as many times as you can within like 15 seconds. Now turn the Ignition to OFF. Now you may start the vehicle, the Seat Belt chime should sound the normal 6 times at first, but the light should then shut off. You should then be able to move the vehicle without the chime sounding rather annoyingly. (Obviously, it is Highly recommended that you utilize your seatbelt anytime the vehicle is in motion on public roadways... )

Subaru Remote Starter systems work well, to the fact that it does what its designed to do. The major issue most people have with it is the fact that once you Remote Start the vehicle, when you open any door, or the front hood, the engine shuts off. Where as most aftermarket systems will only shut of if you depress the Brake Pedal prior to putting the key in the ignition.

The remote starts made from 2016 up shut it off if you pretty much do anything. Open any of the doors, hood or trunk. press the brake pedal, push the start button/ put key into the cylinder. press the lock out button on the shift lever.

The only reason I could think of for all of this is to keep you from starting the vehicle remotely, leave the keys behind and drive off far far away. And then not be able to start it again.

In the old days when we didn't have engine immobilizers, you could just leave a spare key somewhere in the car for these situations.

The remote starts made from 2016 up shut it off if you pretty much do anything. Open any of the doors, hood or trunk. press the brake pedal, push the start button/ put key into the cylinder. press the lock out button on the shift lever.

The only reason I could think of for all of this is to keep you from starting the vehicle remotely, leave the keys behind and drive off far far away. And then not be able to start it again.

In the old days when we didn't have engine immobilizers, you could just leave a spare key somewhere in the car for these situations.

I agree with this but with my Compustar system, I have 45 seconds from the time I open any door to get in with the key (Push Button Start), shut the door and tap the brake pedal. If I do not have the key on me, it shuts off when I hit the brake pedal or after 45 seconds, whichever comes first. So it would be pretty difficult to drive away without the key.

With small kids, 45 seconds might be a challenge, but it still beats shutting down immediately when a door is opened.

I agree with this but with my Compustar system, I have 45 seconds from the time I open any door to get in with the key (Push Button Start), shut the door and tap the brake pedal. If I do not have the key on me, it shuts off when I hit the brake pedal or after 45 seconds, whichever comes first. So it would be pretty difficult to drive away without the key.

With small kids, 45 seconds might be a challenge, but it still beats shutting down immediately when a door is opened.

oh ok. I guess the new compustars have the proximity sensors built in as well.

I had remote start on my 2011 Legacy that had a 2nd fob. I could start the car around 100 (plus) feet away, with line of sight. When I got my 2015 3.6r, I thought the 'integrated' remote start keyfob was great, until I tried it far away. Sometimes I'm 50' away and it still won't start. If I have to be 25 feet away, what's the point???

Anyway, so what you all are saying is, there's a 2nd keyfob option for remote start? Do I need to buy both? I think the factory installed remote start was like $450-$500, so then I'd have to pay an additional $300 for the 2nd keyfob?

Help me understand.

My factory remote came with an extra FOB. The unit is designed to start with the standard FOB but range is limited and line of site. I am usually about 75 feet. Lock, Lock and Lock and hold (3 sec) will start the car.

The 2nd FOB is a small transceiver / radio and can go much further. (300-400ft?) Push 3x and you are good. The second FOB also has feedback to let you know if it started, there is an issue, out of range etc. Check your manual 7-15 to 7-17.

fobs.jpg.5d42450faf591a9a9b6db1c60c0cbcb5.jpg

I would say the second fob maybe even works farther than that. I'll try to get a good distance tomorrow from work...

I work in a control tower at an airport, and the tower's about 250 feet up in the air, and I probably park around 300-500 feet away.

a2+b2=c2, so I'd say slant-range on it is something like 390 to 550 feet away. And it seems to work through the elevator too, which is impressive if I forget to activate it when I get my jacket from my locker.

The only side-note is that I've had the remote start for about 3 years so far, and about once a year before winter I have to replace the battery, otherwise it gets all wonky.

My math has to be wrong. That seems too close. Anyway, case and point, it works.

Archived