LegacyGT.com

Clear paint protector question

So, on my STi, there are these clear protector parts near the rear wheels to keep the paint from getting sand blasted. I'm going to prep the car for the winter, and I'm wondering how I should treat those.

Should I just go around them with my polisher? Or polish them as well? Looking for some input on this, never had to deal with these before.

PM, OCDetails, you can find him on here somewhere. That what he does for a living.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-experience-working-detail-shop-208761.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There isn't much you need to do on those. Aerospace 303 protectant works fine. You can pick that up at AutoZone most likely. It is basically the same thing as a clear bra, so you wouldn't want to use anything abrasive on it. Any other clear vinyl protectant you would use on clear vinyl windows (ie, motorcycle screens, clear bras, vinyl windows on convertibles or Jeeps, etc) works fine too.

Definitely avoid it with your polisher. Try to be careful with clay around it as well. Clay tends to get caught along the edges and it sticks there forever. Polish gets built up along those edges too and it is a pain to clean it out without lifting the edge of the film. If it lifts then it looks even worse and shows a very discernible line, so avoid getting anything too close to it. The same advice applies for a clear bra as well. Just avoid the edge. Give it a quarter inch margin with your polisher or anything else and you should be safe.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived