LegacyGT.com

Safe to steam clean engine?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting my engine and undercarriage/engine steam cleaned.

Is there any risk with this, that might ef up the engine/electrical, etc. ?

If there *is* risk to the engine, is there risk to cleaning the undercarriage and bottom of the engine??

I do it all the time.

I try to not blast stuff like the alternator or any connectors directly with the pressure washer, but that's about it. I ruined a bearing in an alt once, but I think it was on the way out anyway (grease seal was compromised).

I use a hot water pressure washer that's capable of steam but I rarely crank it up that high. 4000 psi at 240F (turns to a mix of steam/very hot water when it exits the nozzle) will eff stuff up if you're not careful.

I use a steam washing detail shop in Rye, NY (Birdie's Auto Spa) and have yet to have any problems.

Outside = steamed

Inside = steamed

Engine bay = steamed

Done both summer and winter and 0 issues.

Like the other guys mentioned above, if done professionally, with some built-in safety, distance between the nozzle and the paint/surfaces, etc. this is a very safe way to clean your car. Better than any chemicals out there.

I used to clean the engine at the car wash, leave it running and stay away from things you know better then to get really wet.

Use your head.

Or just drive the car on rainy day in April to get it rinsed off under the chassis to get all the winter salt crap off from going to skiing at that little place by you.

Yea, I'm jealous...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If there was risk then your engine would be sealed in a waterproof container. Unless your engine is made of sugar then you really don't have much to worry about when it comes to steam cleaning. High pressure washing is another story, but steam isn't going to hurt it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived