LegacyGT.com

Sluggish accel...

I've had my '06 LGT since end of March and everything has ran really smoothly. A couple days ago I started noticing that whenever I am wanting to push around a slow car, usually if I am going anywhere between 40-60, it hesitates on me and gives a slight chug for a few seconds before it'll react. Now being a car guru, I don't know if this has more to do with the tranny or the turbo. It has plenty of power still, but it's definitely starting to become more noticeable and I have been babying it since I noticed.

Quick info, it is automatic, the turbo has been recently replaced, as well as the bolt with the filter in it that I've read so much about. I have put ~7500 miles on it since end of March and have done 2 oil changes, the next coming in about 800 miles. It is right around 48,500 right now.

Any help with this would be awesome, thanks!

I've been getting something similar recently. Mine hits between 2400-3k RPM: chugging, hesitation, bad acceleration, etc. Once you get past that range it goes just fine. Its damn annoying as that range is 60-65mph and make for a very interesting ride to/from work. This morning is got really bad and felt like it died completely and slowed down but then it kicked back in... with a CEL flashing (haven't got home yet to pull the exact code). I think its a bad plug or coil but not sure. 135k on it and this is the first mechanical issue so I'm not sure what to look for.

Anyone else have any ideas?

As I am fairly new to the Legacy but not Subaru's I will not be mean but search!!! This is a common issue and you have to tune it out of your ECU. Almost all Legacys have the issue at some point but most were the 2005 models. Subaru corrected them after the issue was known.

Don't worry. I've been searching around off and on today but I keep coming across similar possibilities/issues/threads so its tough to know which fits. I've had a TDC Tune (Stage 1 91 OCT) on it since I bought it without issue. Its bone stock under the hood except for the tune and a K&N filter. So I didn't think it was an issue with the tune. I'll pull the CEL, see what it says. Maybe a revert to stock tune is next.

Mine is completely stock, nothing installed on it. And @rob-2, it could be connected to the temperature, this is the hottest it has been consistently. But at night, since it cools off a little, shouldn't it be fine? It is not that hot here. Thanks for all you input, I've been worrying about my baby all day :)

try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal long enough to drain the system (5-10 seconds)

If the hesitation goes away, its bad learned behavior. Which could mean knock, boost or vacuum leaks.

Stage 2 OTS map and eliminating air leaks appears to have solved this for me (fingers crossed).

Might be heat.

I've also noticed that around 2k RPM the car really needs a down shift if in 5th gear. While there is plenty of TQ there, I just don't think small motors (2.5 4cyl) do well chugging along.

Try forcing a down shift and getting the rpm's above 2800.

Archived