LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT, brake upgrade for L?

I looked in the FAQ and didn't see anything about it. I bought a LGT for parts and went to put the 14" wheels (took 15" wheels off to use on my L) on it and they wouldn't fit over the front calipers. I'm guessing these brakes are physically larger. On my Contour, you could upgrade the front brakes by getting the caliper bracket (calipers and pads were the same) and rotor from a Cougar. I haven't had the opportunity because of rain, but I'm thinking it won't be that simple here.

Are the LGT front (or even the rear) brakes larger and what would I need to do to swap them from the LGT to my L wagon?

The brake upgrades are covered pretty well here and on a couple of other Subaru sites.

Any Subaru front 2 pot caliper will bolt onto any Subaru in the 95-05 or so range. For you, just move the calipers, brackets, and rotors from your parts car and you should be good.You will need at least a 15 inch wheel to fit over the bigger brakes. The Outbacks from that era had the bigger 2 pots and 15 inch wheels. The 16 inch wheels from the GT will fit fine over your generation and some of the next generation.

Since you have an L wagon, if you have rear disc brakes, you have the same size caliper, piston, and rotor a the GT. No changes needed.

Future upgrades for you.

Front - 02 and up WRX or 03 and up GT rotors and caliper brackets, your calipers will work just fine.

Rear - "the H6 upgrade" which doesn't require an actual H6. The 00-04 Legacys got a bigger rotor in the rear. Matches the 02 WRX in size, just not vented. You would need 04 rotors and brackets and ideally, 02 WRX calipers. That gets around a brake line attachment issue on the 04 GT caliper.

Since you have an L wagon, if you have rear disc brakes, you have the same size caliper, piston, and rotor a the GT. No changes needed.

Not true. Rear GT brakes are 10.5" in diameter, compared to 10.2" of the L. It's close enough though.

Sweet, I'll be swapping the front brakes over, then. Now I can keep the wheels off the parts car. They are the reason I bought it in the first place, 15" alloy Enkei's with new tires.

I do have the L with the rear disc but when I had the front off, I don't recall it being a 2-pot. I didn't pay much attention to it so I guess I'll find out when it stops raining.

I already raped the LGT for the springs and a headlight. I see no reason to stop there.

This should be a nice upgrade, then. I'm surprised the wagon doesn't already have this since it is heavier.

I thought about doing the sway bars, but I wasn't sure it would be worth it for just 1mm more bar.

This should be a nice upgrade, then. I'm surprised the wagon doesn't already have this since it is heavier.

I thought about doing the sway bars, but I wasn't sure it would be worth it for just 1mm more bar.

Get an Outback rear sway bar and a front sway bar from a GT or Outback. They will make a difference.

Archived