LegacyGT.com

FWD instead of fulltime 4WD

Hej Guys,

i am new here and hope noone asked this question before but i could not find something about this topic.

I have an subaru legacy stationwagon from 1993. It is the Full Time Four Weel Drive Model but i drive it since i bought it in the FWD (Front Weel Drive) mode (serveal thousand kilometers) because the guy i buied the car from said he did the same stuff and i hoped to save fuel... Yesterday i red in the manual that the FWD mode should only be used for service and maintenance. The FWD mode is switched on and off while putting a fuse in and out.

Now my Question:

Have i to aspect damage on the car when i drive longer in the FWD mode?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks!!

lo

You didnt do any damage driving it like that. It really is just a kind of limp mode for the drivetrain. You also will not save any more fuel doing that. Just drive it in awd, thats how the car was designed to be operated.

Have you ever removed the fuse and driven the car in AWD? Maybe there is another reason the 'Seller' was running only FWD cause it's not gonna make much difference on your gas milege.

I ran my 1996 Impreza in FWD mode when the center dif. was letting go (binding) only until I installed another tranny (really defeats the purpose of owning a AWD)

Archived