LegacyGT.com

Basic electrical question

WrongLebowski

Hello all, I recently bought a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited I'd like to install a Sub-woofer and Amplifier into. I've already installed an aftermarket head unit and I'm fairly handy but my question is how do I properly provide power to the Amplifier?

I've done this previously but in my previous car (97 Ford Taurus) I simply stripped the wires out of my cigarette lighter and did it in a pretty half-assed fashion, and I'm fairly lucky my car didn't burn to the ground as I understand it. I've heard you need to run a line from the battery directly but I've got a bunch of concerns from drilling through the firewall which sounds just silly to it killing by battery by being on all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Feeding it off the cigarette lighter circuit is pretty rude ay.

Buy one of these kits as it has everything you'll need, depending on the sub/amp size you'll probably want 10-14gauge wire between the amp and sub.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/Car-Audio-Amplifier-Kits/71527/bn_887025/i.html

You don't need to drill through the firewall. There are heaps of rubber gromets in the firewall. One will be unused or have enough space to cut a hole into to feed the power wire through. And the amps all have a remote turn on connection for you to run the small sized wire along with the RCA cables to the headunit which will have an unused wire there to join to. So that will shut the amp off whenever the headunit isn't powered up.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

The kit is a nice idea. I'm glad someone does that now. Not all cars have that many places to fish large wires through the firewall. My Legacy, 2008, didn't have one but I was able to find a route via some factory foam insulation on the driver's side under the dash. I used an old antenna rod as a fish and greased up the wires before yanking through.

Archived