LegacyGT.com

Thinking about an 08 LGT.

I currently drive an 05 WRX, but the car is starting to get a little small for me. Plus my WRX is starting to get really creaky and clanky, I had a little winter accident a couple of years back and I think it's starting to catch up with me now.

So, my plan is to sell my rexy, and get an LGT. I get a new car with infinite more options than my rexy, but I get to start all over again with the payments.

So, my question here is: is there any reason why I shouldn't trade for the LGT? Assuming that I get a decent price for my rexy (which the dealer has put in writing already) is there any technical/mechanical reason why I shouldnt trade?

I understand that I'll be losing handling, and some quickness, but with the gas prices the way they are I tend to ease up on the gas, but I dont want to give up having performance altogether. Which brings me to another question: what kind of impact does the SI system have on mileage/performance?

When you say getting a little small, what do you mean? The Legacy isn't considerably bigger than the Impreza.

I don't think you'll be losing any quickness at all (unless you're comparing to the STI) -- you will be gaining some weight and a much softer suspension.

SI drive (for me) does absolutely nada for gas mileage. I actually get better mileage in S# mode than I do in I drive. It's still all in how you use the pedal.

What you do gain is much, much nicer interior. On top of that (in my opinion) much better exterior styling, easier on the eyes.

Well, it seems to me that the back seat in the LGT is a bit roomier... That is what i meant.

And while i love the look on my WRX, I really do like the way LGT looks, when I bought my WRX i was soooo close to getting the LGT back then.

I traded up from an 03 Impreza just recently, under the same situation. I almost went with an LGT back then, since I was looking at the 2.5RS -- the N/A 2.5GT at the time wouldn't have been all that different.

Overall I'm very happy with the change. One of the biggest things I hated about the 2.5RS (aside from it being a bit lacking in power) was the transmission. The 5EAT in the LGT is much better than the older 4EAT, though I can't speak to the 5MT.

The folding rear seats are also fantastic. Coworkers complain less about being in the back seats of the LGT, so I assume they're at least a little better, but I think it's not very much (when I sit back there, it feels roughly the same to me).

I haven't checked out the 08 Imprezas yet though -- I suspect the new 5 door may be just as roomy in back as our LGTs.

The only thing I miss is kind of a negative as well. The RS was a lot easier to feel/hear what was going on with the car when you're flinging it about. It had no real deadening to it at all, so you felt and heard everything that happened. When pushing hard, that can be a nice thing. The Legacy is quiet, very quiet -- which is also a very nice thing -- but it's so quiet that at times I forget what gear I'm in.

For me, the Legacy even has a better suspension and brakes -- I don't know how it compares to an 05 WRX -- but compared to the 03 2.5RS, the suspension is stiffer and the brakes hold better (though the initial bite is pretty crappy feeling).

Oh, and drive by wire sucks. Even with an automatic.

Negatives, hmm. I hate the sun visors on the LGT -- they tried to make them kind of 'luxurious' and ended up making them very clunky and hard to manipulate.

My rear driver's side door doesn't like to close, the latch seems to stick -- gotta have the dealer fix that one.

Premium gas.. honestly though at the prices we're paying, it just doesn't make that much difference.

The climate control system is insane. I think it has Charles Manson's brain providing the logic for it.

The center console is pretty crappy in layout, and the armrest extension doesn't provide storage like the Impreza's.

No boost gauge as a dealer/factory option. Turbo cars should really always have this, never figured that one out.

All pretty trivial stuff, I can't think of anything really significant that would put the LGT below the Impreza.

I purchased an '08 LGT back in April. I went to the Subaru dealer initially to test drive a '08 WRX, but I wasn't impressed at all with it, especially for the price. No sun roof, no power seats (or leather), boring interior alltogether. The drive was pretty solid, but nothing that really got me excited about the car.

We were looking around at a couple used cars when I spotted an '08 LGT. The northwest is a very popular place for Foresters and Outbacks, but not very many LGTs on the road, so I wasn't too familiar with the car. I gave it a test drive and was very impressed. Roomy front seat interior, power driver and passenger seats with lumbar support on both (big plus for me), attractive interior especially the lighting at night.

I just think you get a lot more car for your money (the LGT was $2k less than the '08 WRX) with this car comapred to the WRX, plus it's got plenty of giddy up.

I use the SI system quite a bit. You can really tell the difference with the S# mode activated vs. the "I" mode. I primarily drive in "I" mode since my commute is on the freeway going 60 and there really isn't any reason for me to need extra power. When I'm on a winding road, I like to kick S# on for the fun of driving. I don't know if it really changes the gas mileage. I've been getting about 24 MPG with mostly freeway driving.

My opinion, made the trade and go with the LGT :cool:

??

I've read and heard mixed opinions on this, so I thought I'd ask.

It's a very touchy subject here. The SpecB definitely has improvements over the LGT, but I'm not gonna touch on value versus aftermarket. If it were me, I would make the decision based on what the 6 speed means to you.

well...

6 speed, VDC, seats, wheels, tires, and integrated nav are the aspects you should use to decide. If you want all of these and would buy them in the aftermarket, it may be worth it.

You can easily get better suspension, wheels, tires, and a better non-integrated nav in the aftermarket (for less than $5000).

The 6-speed, nicer seats, and an integrated nav in the aftermarket are more difficult, though I suppose doable.

Integrated NAV is much easier now that Highline CA has the replacement bezels available to where you can put in a 2din headunit with NAV.

The seats, read up in the long term care/detailing/maintenance on the material. Alcantera(sp) is nice stuff, but can be a bit of a PITA to keep in shape.

Just playing devil's advocate and what not.

The Nav is not a big issue to me, and the seats, eh... But the 6spd is that is making me think hard about spending the extra money. Im trying to read all the forums on this to see if it helps me make up my mind haha.

The Nav is not a big issue to me, and the seats, eh... But the 6spd is that is making me think hard about spending the extra money. Im trying to read all the forums on this to see if it helps me make up my mind haha.

I would be in the same boat, but no way is a 6spd worth 4k.

NAV, seats, wheels, suspension… I can do without or more to my liking after-market.

When I get back from vacation in mid-August we are ordering a 09 LGT QSM bare bones.

Clearly there are some that want the SpecB and I say go for it!!

The only thing that you can do better is find an '07 barely used for a much cheaper price than the '08. I think they may be people selling theirs even here.

GL

X

---

Archived