LegacyGT.com

Sway bar recommendations for stock springs

sactojesse

I'm planning on keeping the stock springs and ride height on my LGT wagon. The lack of ground clearance is already an issue with my Hidden Hitch tow hitch. My apologies for posting what seems to be a fairly common question, but not all of the experiences I have read pertain to stock ride height vehicles. I've read many threads here on aftermarket sway bars and their various fit issues. Plus, there seems to be conflicting opinions regarding just about every brand of aftermarket sway bars. What sway bars would you recommend for reducing body roll while not drastically degrading ride quality? I'm willing to accept some degradation in ride quality for a sportier feel. I'm also not afraid of oversteer. I've been driving modified air-cooled VWs for 20+ years, so I'm comfortable with trailing throttle and power-induced oversteer.

Once again, please keep in mind that I intend to keep the stock springs. I'm open to running just an upgraded RSB or a matched set, depending on responses. I also plan to reinforce the rear sway bar mounts and may or may not run stock endlinks depending on your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your replies.

My only concern with the JDM 20mm RSB is whether it is a significant enough improvement over the USDM 16 mm RSB. If the change is noticeably better, I may go with the JDM RSB. If not, I'm open to suggestions, including AVO or IPD RSBs or a matched set of larger FSB and RSB (Cobb, Cusco, Whiteline, IPD, etc.).

But! the JDM 20mm is hollow. About the equivalent of an 18mm solid, if my info & calculations are correct.

About 107% improvement over our original 15mm (LOB) bar.

About 60% over a 16mm bar (which was itself a noticeable improvement over the 15).

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

But! the JDM 20mm is hollow. About the equivalent of an 18mm solid, if my info & calculations are correct.

So that would make the relative heirarchy of RSBs as follows (from lowest to highest stiffness):

1) USDM 16 mm solid RSB

2) JDM 20 mm hollow RSB (equivalent to 18 mm solid) - 60% stiffer

3) IPD 19 mm solid RSB - 99% stiffer

4) AVO 20 mm solid RSB - 144% stiffer

I would imagine that anything larger than the AVO RSB would ideally require a matched F&R set. Is that correct?

About 107% improvement over our original 15mm (LOB) bar.

About 60% over a 16mm bar (which was itself a noticeable improvement over the 15).

15mm solid to 16mm solid is about 29% per the chart.

JDM 20mm hollow :orly:

Make sure you get some sort of reinforced rear mounts (Cobb or AVO) so you don't break the stock ones and you actually get the full benefit of the bigger rear bar.

I plan to reinforce the RSB mounts even if I end up with only the JDM RSB.

if you're not upgrading the suspension (which i think is a mistake if you care at all about handling) then stick with JDM. its oem fit and you don't need reinforcements. set it and forget it.

if you're not upgrading the suspension (which i think is a mistake if you care at all about handling) then stick with JDM. its oem fit and you don't need reinforcements. set it and forget it.

I wouldn't be soliciting sway bar recommendations if I didn't "care at all about handling." :rolleyes: However, most aftermarket springs require some drop, which I'm unwilling to accept. Besides, I'm far more concerned with body roll than with spring rate.

I wouldn't be soliciting sway bar recommendations if I didn't "care at all about handling." :rolleyes: However, most aftermarket springs require some drop, which I'm unwilling to accept. Besides, I'm far more concerned with body roll than with spring rate.

ahh, but springs do help body roll, front end dip (braking) and rear end squat (acceleration). bang for your buck, springs will make a larger impact on you handling then sways. generally in suspension/handling improvement your priorities should be...

1. Tires

2. Springs, Springs/stuts or coilovers

3. Sways.

Read this....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941

btw...cobb springs don't drop that much from what I've seen. But dunno if they have a wagon fitment. If your worried about ride height and suspension improvement. Go with a JDM GT suspension with JDM stock springs. It uses Bilsteins which will tighten up your ride but uses stock ride height springs. Search the classified forums or suspension forums. Also PM unclemat. He's had about 6 set ups on his wagon and will have good info for you.

And I was concerned about what I considered to be unsafe levels of understeer.

More rear bar = less understeer.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

ahh, but springs do help body roll, front end dip (braking) and rear end squat (acceleration). bang for your buck, springs will make a larger impact on you handling then sways. generally in suspension/handling improvement your priorities should be...

1. Tires

2. Springs, Springs/stuts or coilovers

3. Sways.

Read this....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941

btw...cobb springs don't drop that much from what I've seen. But dunno if they have a wagon fitment. If your worried about ride height and suspension improvement. Go with a JDM GT suspension with JDM stock springs. It uses Bilsteins which will tighten up your ride but uses stock ride height springs. Search the classified forums or suspension forums. Also PM unclemat. He's had about 6 set ups on his wagon and will have good info for you.

Thanks! I'm gradually coming around. I am considering doing just the JDM RSB or AVO RSB for now (w/ the AVO reinforcement to the RSB mount). Then I may consider something stock for shocks/struts and springs like the Bilsteins w/ JDM GT springs or the STi pinks (only 15 mm drop stated, but sounds like it's more like 25 mm or an inch).

Consider the Swift sways, as well, if you do decide to stay on the original springs: I think they are perfect for an otherwise-stock car. They are a modest-yet-balanced bump up in stiffness from the USDM front + JDM rear combination. Just right: stiffer than stock but not too stiff for the stock suspension, like the Cobb/Cusco bars would be (those bars work better with a stiffer suspension setup.) www.mann-engineering.com for info on the Swift stabilizer bars.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Affirmative.

Thanks! That was my original thought. Stock springs plus bigger sway bars = compliant ride under most conditions with greatly improved roll resistance.

I've never been a fan of higher spring rates to improve handling, especially since my primary complaint is body roll. I remember when Isuzu hired Lotus to engineer the suspension tweaks for the old RWD Impulse and Impulse turbos of the late 1980s. Lotus actually reduced the stock spring rate and installed bigger sway bars. Of course, those old Impulses had a solid rear axle derived from the archaic Isuzu I-mark/Opel Kadett/Chevy Chevette/Pontiac T1000 quartet of stooges. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have Cusco frt and rear bars on my 07 SpecB. No fitment problems at all, although I will probably add the AVO bar brace for the rear.

They improved the suspension, without damaging the ride too much. You can tell they are there on rough roads. I will probably go with Swift springs to finish the suspension.

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed an AVO rear on my OBXT today. All the suspension is stock besides the big orange bar. The car handles like a dream. I'm rolling on Kumho ECSTA ASX Rubber on 18x8s and I love the vastly better ride. I didn't go with the reinforced brackets, but I may pick some up with some beefier AVO endlinks too. I highly recommend the AVO.

Archived