LegacyGT.com

quiet exhaust?

ivtec

i've been debating if i should go with a cat back to complete the up/down pipe stage 2 for my 05. Although i love the sound of a loud rumble i know it will eventually annoy me down the road. The stock is too quiet and boring to make me feel that i am actually driving a performance sedan.

From what i have searched Prodrive, Stromung and Borla seem to be a quieter system(correct me if i'm wrong). I like the dual tips from the Stromung but worry about fitment issues. Finding a place to order from that won't cost me an arm and leg in brokerage fees is another concern.

I've tried looking for a sound clip for the stromung but could not find one that works. Anyone have one?

I've been seeking quiet, too. :)

Yes, the Borla system is one of the quietest. I'm not fond of its canister "hiding" nor its tips, though...

The Prodrive units are also very quiet, from several trusted members that I've had this reported from - but they're only the canisters, and pricy, at that....

Brother eL gaTo has tried both the Prodrive canisters as well as the Avo Rev.2 units (also canisters only), and say that the Avos actually resonnate less, and provide an even more refined sound.

The Bosal/SPT unit is also very quiet, but quality is suspect at this point - highly suspect....

I'm waiting for the Crucial unit to step up to market. And also, seeing exactly how loud the Megan units will be.

To my ears, albeit from various sound-clips, the Stromung unit sounds relatively loud. :( Too bad, though, as I love the Stromung rumble. Another minus is that their canister/tips location seems way, way too low.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My borla is nice. Throaty, almost V8 sounding but definitely not loud & obnoxious & no droning on the highway
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I met a guy tax day with a Lachute exhaust (out of Canada) here in South Bend. It sounds like the Perrin System sound clip on JSC Speed's website, but the Perrin is supposed to be loud. This system you only hear on acceleration and it's just right with the windows open, louder than stock of course, but a nice balance. And at even throttle, cruising, it sound almost stock. But that boxer rumble on acceleration is just right. Mind you, I leary of loud exhausts, too, so when I replace my stock cans, it'll probably be with this system.

When you get on their website (google "Lachute exhaust"), remember their prices seem high until you realize they are in CANADIAN DOLLARS.

^ How does the two Fujitsubos compare to the Avo Rev.2 and/or Prodrive and/or Borla and/or ( :lol: @ my own sentence composition) Bosal/SPT w/ respect to loudness/absolute volume?

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

the prodrive i havent heard, and the bosal/spt i have read is having quality issues so i stayed away. the borla has a real nice sound but it doesnt offer anything special to me. its a real nice sounding exhaust and its quiet.the avo and fujitsubo sound very similar but i found the fujitsubo to be a little quieter and fujitsubo is suppose to be one of the best exhaust manufacturers in the world. i am worried about the highway drone , police ,and just annoying other drivers and that is why i went with the quietest one i could find.

subiesales - You're starting to sell me on the Fujitsubos. :) I do appreciate your first-hand experiences. :)

How do you find the idle noise level as compared to stock? From various specs, it seems that the Legalis R and Super R systems idles about 6 dB higher than stock (@ 5K, this increases to about 7 over stock) - but it would seem that your subjective first-hand take is that it's nearly as quiet, if not more so, than the Avo (Rev.1 ? or Rev.2 ?). Is this an accurate statement?

Again, thanks! :)

"My borla is nice. Throaty, almost V8 sounding but definitely not loud & obnoxious & no droning on the highway"

I'll second that, my car is 95% used as a family car so I wanted something quiet, but a little louder/deeper than stock. It was too loud for the first couple of days, then quieted right down. At 80mph, its almost completely silent but accelerating around town it sounds great. Its only 2.5" I think but I was only interested in the sound really, not significant power. The fit was great too, the old one was off and the borla was on in 45min with no stress.

tsi+wrx - the fujitsubo is almost as quiet as the stock at idle. i athink its only about 1-2 db higher and your right about the 5k at about 7db higher. i think the number is about 88db in the 3-5k. that in comparison is really quiet when you consider that most i have found are in the 89 and higher range and even sometimes going over 100db. plus i believe the build of the fujitsubo is superior to anything else ive seen. some are close but i just think they're a little better.

Oh damn - I think you just cost me some $1300.... :lol:

I am still very tempted to wait for the Crucial and Megan units - just because I'm an absolute whore for the quad-tip setup ( yes, I'm an M5 wanna-be :lol: ). But you're certainly right about the quality of the Fujitsubo. A+.

Thanks again!

-A

i think crucial makes really nice stuff and i dont know much about the megan stuff but i think if you like the quad tip then you cant really go wrong with the crucial or even a stromung. i like the dual tip and fujitsubo is the best in my opinion. im sure whatever you decide it will look and sound awesome.

boom plus toys sells them but there are vendors on the forum selling for about 1199us for the super legalis r that includes shipping(not sure if that is to canada). boom sells for 1499cad plus 80cad for shipping and i think that was on the legalis r not the super leg. r. hopefully there is a group buy sometime soon.

All of them sound the smae more or less with subtle differences. Is there any way to make more power without the noise? I must be getting old (I am apporaching 30 afterall). I like the fact that the car is pretty quiet and I can surf the wave of torque in traffic and on the street without rowing the shifter like I had to all the time in my RX-8. I just want to go faster...quietly.

i have the borla, sounds perfect, fits perfect, good price (maryland turbo), warranty, do you want fart cans or do you want your lgt to sound like a true performance machine?, borla, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Who sells the Fujitsubos?

Like subiesales cited, several vendors here do - there's a potential GB going on right now, but there has been, as of yet, little interest (if any).

Search for both "Fujitsubo" as well as "Fujisubo" ;)

Archived