LegacyGT.com

Free Brake Rotor upgrade would you take it?

bradlgt21

Well I am replacing my rotors with just a OEM replacement and replacing my hawk pads with OEM replacement ceramics. I am confident that this new setup works well because I got the advice from a trusted source who has been using them on his LGT for a while now and likes them. I just got a phone call from the store yesterday and the OEM replacement rotors aren't in stock, they should get them on Wednesday or Thursday of this week and offered to give me a free upgrade to Cross Drilled, slotted and zinc-dichromate coated. I know they will look nice through the huge openings in my 18" rota torques but will they be reliable? I always heard that drilling is actually bad for rotors because it causes stress fractures.

A little about my driving style, I push the limits of the car time to time but never purposeful extreme braking, no autocross. The car is stage 2 but lowered with 225 summer tires on it. So some handling-braking requirements but not a race setup. The only reason I am debating the exchange is because for one it's free and for two it might look nicer and perform better. But if they will have negative side effects I would rather stick with the blank flat rotors.

Drilled rotors are more likely to crack. In fact until recently and still at some tracks, unless the "drilled" rotors are OEM rotors they don't allow you to go on track with them. I've seen drilled rotors crack right out of the drilled portion often. If they offer slotted they are ok, but smooth or OEM style ones are best for longevity as well as heat sink ability.

-mike

Archived