LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for it and blacked em out. Looks pretty good but I may have got carried away and gone too black. I'll see if it will grow on me. You think a chrome spray paint would cover some of my tracks if I wanted to without looking terrible?

My LED lights kept burning out so I used a new style that are not as flexible.

Let me know what you think.

I got to say the photos do not do justice though.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/iphonepics022.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/gershon23/iphonepics021.jpg

I really like it! :) What are they?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I did my 08's yesterday and this is my reults. Not perfect as I still have tiny bits of RTV and a few smudges on the interior lens but I might either pick up Ebay units for a professional clear by Lightwerkz and resell the OEM's or if I feel brave, reopen and clean them. If I can one word of advice that I don't know if anyone has covered it's this: do it on a warm or hot day in the sun. It makes the damn pop-its and bumper much easier to move and tweak.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-someone-help-me-clearing-lights-142121p2.html

Lightwerkz is a rip off. I charge way less then them.

They charge $60 for headlight clearing. Plus they're in northern NJ and I'm in SE PA so I mail 1 day, they have the next, 2 days or so later they send back and I'm back in business in less than 5 days.

They charge $60 for headlight clearing. Plus they're in northern NJ and I'm in SE PA so I mail 1 day, they have the next, 2 days or so later they send back and I'm back in business in less than 5 days.

Be a man. :rolleyes:

Clear them yourself. A child could do it. It's really not scary or difficult.

Be a man. :rolleyes:

Clear them yourself. A child could do it. It's really not scary or difficult.

I did, go back a page and read. I'm not 100% satisfied with the results so I'm considering buying Ebay pieces, having LW clear those and reselling the OEM.;)

That makes sense. They also significantly lowered their prices.

I plan on clearing my headlights within the next two weeks and have read this thread dozens of times but currently my headlights have a "haze" on the insides of the lens. Is there an easy way to clean/ restore the inside and what exactly should I use to do this?

My LED lights kept burning out so I used a new style that are not as flexible.

Let me know what you think.

I got to say the photos do not do justice though.

Not bad, here's mine:

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/garage_attachment.php?id=291

My stylez :)

I plan on clearing my headlights within the next two weeks and have read this thread dozens of times but currently my headlights have a "haze" on the insides of the lens. Is there an easy way to clean/ restore the inside and what exactly should I use to do this?

Since the headlights have been sealed they can't be all that dirty on the inside. A wipe down with a good plastic cleaner should be fine. Just make sure your cleaning rag does not come in contact with the softened silicone sealer as lint contaminants can cause a problem when resealing.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Anyone run into a problem with having the housings not sit flush against the fender? I cleared mine over the weekend but keep noticing a gap between the light ass'y and the fender. Do I suspect the plastic bracket the light sits it or is it more at the mounting points?

Anyone run into a problem with having the housings not sit flush against the fender? I cleared mine over the weekend but keep noticing a gap between the light ass'y and the fender. Do I suspect the plastic bracket the light sits it or is it more at the mounting points?

That is the result of the headlights not being mounted correctly. You should take a picture of the gaps and then take your bumper off again. Then you can loosen the mounts on the housings and adjust accordingly.

That is the result of the headlights not being mounted correctly. You should take a picture of the gaps and then take your bumper off again. Then you can loosen the mounts on the housings and adjust accordingly.

Like loosten the bolts and jostle it back and forth you mean? I think I gotcha. Have to try that this weekend.

You'll have to loosten the bolts and position the headlight correctly before tightening them again. The same thing happened to me when I put my lights back in last time. I just threw the housings in, tightened the bolts, and put the bumper back on. The problem is that the lights have to be positioned in their happy place for the bumper to go back on with no gaps. ya feel me?

You'll have to loosten the bolts and position the headlight correctly before tightening them again. The same thing happened to me when I put my lights back in last time. I just threw the housings in, tightened the bolts, and put the bumper back on. The problem is that the lights have to be positioned in their happy place for the bumper to go back on with no gaps. ya feel me?

Got it! Now here's my stance. I bought some used OEM housings today from a guy on here. They're currently stock. I'm thinking of taking those, having a pro (Lightwerkz or Sprank) clear them and installing those. The DS in the car isn't too bad but the housing is kinda borked on the PS and it bothers me. Why take the cover off to just tweak them slightly now only to do it again a few weeks from now? I got the aim pretty close and they don't appear to leak so....

Since the headlights have been sealed they can't be all that dirty on the inside. A wipe down with a good plastic cleaner should be fine. Just make sure your cleaning rag does not come in contact with the softened silicone sealer as lint contaminants can cause a problem when resealing.

Thanks. Hope fully I can get to this in the next few weeks. Need new brakes first....

Just finished clearing/painting my headlights. I used the same methods as in this thread from when did my STI lights:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-exterior/101693-martha-stewart-sti-style.html

There are a couple pointers to add that I picked up this second time around:

1. Do NOT use the 3M Green automotive tape. The edges are sharper, but the adhesive is more aggressive than the blue tape. It pulled up some of the chrome.

2. Use a hairdryer to soften the tape adhesive to reduce the chance of #1 happening.

3. Use a scuffing pad to scuff up the chrome before painting.

This time around, I had issues with both headlights. One lost some chrome, and the other lost some paint. On the plus side, however, I used a Semi-Gloss this time around, and I think it looks much better than the regular flat black.

I left the silver scatter lense for the turn signal but removed the orange reflectors. I also taped up the chrome bezel around the low beam and just the reflector for the turn signal. It came out looking really good, despite the above issues. If I'm feeling froggy at some point, I might see if I can trade these for someone's stock set and try this again to get a perfect set.

I have a 2009 LGT. Hopefully these pictures will help you see what is hidden under the lights and wheel wells. You can see that the top of the bumper has a row of "clips" along the length. First be sure you have removed all the plastic screws. I think there are about 7 along the bottom edge of the bumper and two or three on each side. The toughest one is in the upper front part of the wheel well... you have to pull the plastic liner back to reach it because it is hidden. Once you have all the screws off, you have to pull the bumper off beginning with one side. The plastic "clips" are actually part of the bumper, they wont come off separately. It's pretty scary, but you have to tug pretty hard to get it started. You can pull with one hand and press in on the body above the bumper with the other hand. Try to get one "clip" to come off, then you can work your way around. Make sure to have something under the bumper like cardboard to keep it from scratching.

Good Luck!

I've already blacked out my headlights- is there any paint I could buy if I wanted to clear it out and have it chrome again?

If the fog is isolated to the corner turn signal area of the lamp it is most likely the o-ring on the turn signal bulb. They have an issue sealing properly sometimes. I have also seen the main water cap o-ring leak. But there the leak is usually caused by the hole made for HID's.

Sent you a PM regarding clearing your lights.