LegacyGT.com

need help! catalytic converter issues

elle

hey guys,

need help with an issue i'm having with my car. on saturday, my check engine light came on, so i brought it in on monday morning.

the story that i got from my dealership was that there was an issue with the catalytic converter that caused the check engine light. the condition of the catalytic converter was in a bad enough state to cause the check engine light to turn on but not bad enough to be a problem, so nothing was done to change the situation. i won't get the thing replaced unless this problem crops up again...

any advice? what do you think of this situation?

yea... i'm just wondering if they're trying to avoid having to do free work on my car... and if this is something i should be concerned about right now for the overall health of my car... (2005 subaru legacy 2.5i ltd)

I would think seeing if it occurs again is a good plan. Many of us have had various intermittent check engine light epsiodes that have gone away never to return. If it does occur again, and in doing so will disable cruise control, I would insist they replace the offending catalytic converter. It should be covered to 10/100 or some such under the federal emissions control warranty.

BTW, there are no more emissions sniffer tests in MA.

Yours is like mine its a PZEV. It is an expensive job to replace. Maybe they are hoping you will go away :) Just drive it as much as you can and see if the light comes back, if they try and reset it again refuse to take the car back and call SOA. If you have an inspection due just call SOA and explain the situation.

Well they should diagnose it. It may or may not be the converter because an AF sensor can cause a converter code as well.

If it is not a PZEV then the warranty is 8/80k

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

well, on the bright side of things, they said my car follows california emissions standards and therefore my catalytic converter is under warranty until 2020 (15 years!). i will see how it goes (and hopefully the problem never happens again *fingers crossed*).

thanks for all the great responses.

Yep, Cali has 15 years or 150k if I recall.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
Any one can help my cat cam loose and blew my turbo and my after market company said they dont cover the cat that broke the turbo looking at 2,700 and change have a 2006 subaru legacy gt. can any one help

You may have to re-write that so english speaking people can understand you. Plus more info is needed.

well, on the bright side of things, they said my car follows california emissions standards and therefore my catalytic converter is under warranty until 2020 (15 years!). i will see how it goes (and hopefully the problem never happens again *fingers crossed*).

thanks for all the great responses.

Ok, so do all subies follow california emission laws? I'm in a similar situation ( I think) although I am no longer hopeful it will resolve itself. I started throwing codes about 3 weeks ago : P0420, "left bank cat. failure" or something to that degree. Haven't seen any decrease in performance/fuel consumption yet.

Ok, so do all subies follow california emission laws? I'm in a similar situation ( I think) although I am no longer hopeful it will resolve itself. I started throwing codes about 3 weeks ago : P0420, "left bank cat. failure" or something to that degree. Haven't seen any decrease in performance/fuel consumption yet.

No. Just like any other vehicle, if they are a PZEV or a California car or a car that is certified for sale in a state that has developed the same criteria as California, they have to. Those others are Maine, New York, Massachusetts, and Vermont. If they are not, then no they don't.

What many do not realize is that because you have a p0420 code doesn't always mean its a bad converter. I have seen that same code and an AF sensor cause the catalytic converter to fail and both were bad, yet there was no code for the AF Sensor.

• 1 month later...
Just failed my emissions test, due to high NOx readings. I replaced my plugs and I don't have a EGR valve according to my Haynes manual. I did however find that between the front and back of my CAT there is a loose portion where exhaust is leaking out of. Will welding that solve my issue or do I have to replace the whole thing?

• 1 year later...
I would not recommend waiting to see what happens. I tried that. Eventually, the failure of the catalytic converter caused the failure of the entire engine. $3000 later I am now driving my 2005 Legacy with 132K on it with an engine from another 2005 Legacy with only 88K on it. The $650 or so to replace the catalytic converter is totally worth it when compared to the alternative.

• 3 years later...
If I were you, I would email subaru and/or contact your local dealer. From what I'm reading, only pzev vehicles sold and operated in certain states are eligible for the 15 year 150,000 mile pzev warranty. Georgia isn't listed as a state eligible for the 15yr/150k warranty, but I would definitely contact subaru to verify.

Archived