LegacyGT.com

Retrofit Projector For High Beam

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this on here as I have not come across it in my travels. I retrofitted a projection housing into the high beam socket of my headlights. Due to state law where I live it is illegal to run HID's unless they are in a projection housing. The law extends further then that to go against it but it's difficult for them to prove whether or not the car came factory with HID's or not when there is a projection housing present. Anyhow, I attached a couple of pictures I took yesterday after installing them. They are not the best quality but you get the idea of it.

The aftermarket projector has a shutter inside of it that can be powered if the projector was being used in a bixenon application. I added those shutters to my OEM projectors and wired my headlights up so when I am running low beam both the low and high beam are one as it would be if I had switched it to high beam under the factory set up. I wired the shutters to the high beam connection so when I flip the high beam the shutters come down in both housings causing a different cut off allowing more light. I can elaborate more if needed.

Feel free to share your comments and opinions.

IMG_20140507_112725_152.thumb.jpg.2560932870ec036fd18ece645a9c9dd3.jpg

IMG_20140507_151917_822.thumb.jpg.26dceb6ebcf296856182d72706375947.jpg

12sechatch, I'm not sure if you are referring to not allowing the use of HID's in general unless factory or not allowing the use if not in a projection housing. If you are referring to the later or the two I agree with you completely. Some people will complain that they have a right to be able to see better at night but what they do not realize is putting those in a reflective based housing meant for an incandescent light bulb may increase their visibility but for oncoming traffic it does the complete opposite.

I was thinking just the opposite. Low beams are terrible, no complaints about the highs.

Meant to say my low beams with the RX300 retrofit are excellent, but they make my brights seem weak. And yes, the stock low beams are unacceptably bad.

• 1 year later...

Archived