LegacyGT.com

Continentals bubble prone? & tire help

Shotokan1509

I was considering Continental DWS's but tire guy said Conti's tend to be bubble prone? Any truth to this?

Also, other suggestions for a non-winter setup?

I have Michelin Xice's for winter on the LGT, so do not need crazy winter capabilities.

I have a sunny day car on 220 treadwear tires, so do not need crazy summer handling

I need a non-winter setup for the LGT, decent dry handling, definite wet capabilities. Factory size, going on factory wheels. Do not want to spend a fortune, and want decent wear.

If Conti's are not bubble prone, do they sound like a good fit for what I need?

Who is this tire guy?

He is full of it.

Local chain worker, he had them in stock and said they're good... except when I mentioned I put the snows on after bubbling an A/S (not a Conti) he responded he sees more Conti's with bubbles than most.

Conti A/S tires tend to have pretty soft sidewalls. I've seen a buldged sidewall on another car caused by impact. That said, I run DWS in the winter, but run ~40psi and keep an eye on it.

Contiextremecontact, the predecessor to the DWS line, was known to bubble due to thinner/softer sidewall design. I can't remember if it was single ply or two ply. He probably is referencing that. DWS is much more structurally sound IIRC, and it shows in terms of the weight per tire. Contiextreme's were always a lightweight tire for their size, DWS' are now more "middle of the pack" in terms of their weight.

Contiextremecontact, the predecessor to the DWS line, was known to bubble due to thinner/softer sidewall design. I can't remember if it was single ply or two ply. He probably is referencing that. DWS is much more structurally sound IIRC, and it shows in terms of the weight per tire. Contiextreme's were always a lightweight tire for their size, DWS' are now more "middle of the pack" in terms of their weight.

I saw a bubble on the contiextremecontact in a 225/45-17 size. Good to know the DWS is stronger, but IMHO it still has soft sidewalls when compared to a max performance summer tire.

So give me some other suggestions

Decent dry handling, definite wet capabilities. Factory size(215/45/17), going on factory wheels. Not lowest price tires ever, but do not want to spend a fortune either.

I have Michelin Xice's for winter on the LGT, so do not need crazy winter capabilities.

I have a sunny day car on 220 treadwear tires, so do not need crazy summer handling

I had extremecontacts prior to the DWS I run now.. They all had bubbles by the time I changed them out. Mainly due to the potholes in the area in the winter from the plows but still a lot more sidewall bubbling than I've ever seen with any other tire.

I had extremecontacts prior to the DWS I run now.. They all had bubbles by the time I changed them out. Mainly due to the potholes in the area in the winter from the plows but still a lot more sidewall bubbling than I've ever seen with any other tire.

How are teh DWS fairing?

And is that EFI logics I see in your avatar?

Won't get into the whole debate on the tires, but compared to the extremecontacts, they are worse in the snow and as good or better everywhere else. I'm not running as low a profile for this set though and have yet to notice any bubbling in about 8 months of use.

That is EFI Logics. I made it down for their dyno day earlier this year.

Archived