LegacyGT.com

Updated Navigation with Factory Screen

grbspecb

I wanted to share my experience with upgrading the factory navigation with a Kenwood G510 unit.

http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/KNA-G510

The g510 is flash memory based, a quarter of the size of the OEM DVD Unit. It accepts an SD card to update POIs and maps. The unit is made by Garmin.

Features:

12-channel WAAS-enabled GPS receiver

Built-in road maps of the United States and Canada

Over 5 million points of interest

Voice prompts with Text to Speach

compatible with Clear Channel Traffic Message Channel and XM Satellite Radio traffic information services

multi-destination route planning

2-D and 3-D map views

I have installed about 60,000 additional Point of Interest(POIs) including Speed zone areas that show an alert on the screen based on vehicle speed. As well as proximity alerts that can go off when the vehicle is within a certain distance.

PROS:

-Text to Speach

-FM or XM Traffic - I use FM and it has been great so far giving me NJ, NY, and PA traffic depending on where I am travelling

-3d maps that adjust to how much you need to see

-Highly configuarble display

-Easy to use

-Up to date Maps and POIs

-Ability to add own POIs, speed alerts, and proximity alerts

-Automatic day/night mode based on actual sunset/sunrise

Cons:

Voice does not mute radio and required additional speaker for voice

Installation:

-Removed OEM under the seat unit and put new unit in its place.

-Wired the 2 power wires, ground, and routed attena hiden under rear shelf

-Ran new video cable to back of LCD OEM screen

-Installed a small amp I had, 18watts and a small speaker in headliner on drivers side through the map light

-Installed FM Traffic unit to Factory atenna using Scosche adapters

Use:

So far it has a great lock, is fast to acquire satellites

I used it in NYC and had no trouble, and even went through the tunnels and it kept the proper position of the vehicle through the tunnel

I like the traffic feature, great tool to help avoide traffic

The 3d mode is very useful as it scrolls and zooms automatically depending on what part of the route you are on

Here is a video of some of the features and the TTS voice:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VK6D1UVI

Any questions let me know.

305277947_NagScreen.thumb.jpg.9b3df93725757c41e4eafae4ed495519.jpg

1321219654_LoadingCustomPOIs.thumb.jpg.ab2e1a07ea45ea5d27a28cee8f4e2740.jpg

1102000573_MainScreen.thumb.jpg.bbd5af3249a9942d4a9ab1a775b5def0.jpg

83062898_OEMScreen.thumb.jpg.928ef0844a8360d58e569ba4697ba924.jpg

177970238_TripInformation.thumb.jpg.b8fa79cc7936e6ddfac143fb317cc3ed.jpg

1926602996_NightModeTraffic.thumb.jpg.a678acc951915799f835c918924f81f7.jpg

1672064375_DestinationScreen.thumb.jpg.bcdbd37192f20893c7636a35a4f1a695.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The touch screen still works as do the buttons to select the features of the nav. I posted a megaupload link to a video of everything in action.

i paid around 320 for the unit from a guy from ebay who I have dealt with in the past.

i paid about 120 for the FM traffic unit and 5 dollars for the antenna adapters to hook up the FM traffic.

This is installed in a spec b. I tried this as it has much more features than the factory nav including traffic and really isnt too much then buying a 250 dollar dvd udate of old maps. Updating this unit is much cheaper and done by garmin

i did not have to add to the cost the small amplifier for the voice as i had that as well as the small speaker that is in the headliner.

it doesnt mute the radio but i actually like that it doesnt.

No luck finding a mute yet?

To bad because this would be almost a seamless upgrade.

Great work though!

I still might do this upgrade without mute. The maps that are available for the factory nav unit are horribly outdated even with 2.0 discs. If I were Kenwood/Subaru I would be very embrassed to have these crap maps .

i am still looking into a mute.

one thing i would like to try is trying to get my hands on a 13 din connector that is male to female. the nav unit has a 90 degree plug that hits the oem lcd screen power connector and i am wondering if something may not be connected fully.

i will say i did take apart the angular connector and plug it in the best i could. i just would like to eliminate that connection as a possible cause of it not muting.

I don't have problems with the stock NAV other then the fact the maps are +10 years out of date for major areas I drive too. That's just unacceptable and I know other OEM NAVs have more recent(current) map data.

On a recent trip, I just found it to be a complete PITA to use, compared to the Garmin.

Installation:

-Removed OEM under the seat unit and put new unit in its place.

Did it bolt in the same, or did you have to drill new holes in the floor, etc?

-Wired the 2 power wires, ground, and routed antenna hidden under rear shelf

Could you plug the factory power harness into the unit, or did you need to tap wires, etc.? Was there already a cable to the antenna under the rear shelf? If so, did you or could you have plugged that into the new unit without rewiring?

-Ran new video cable to back of LCD OEM screen

Again, was there already a plug at the display that you could have used?

Thanks for this post. Do you have any install pics you could share? This should definitely be in the walkthroughs.

I originally enlarged the whole on the Nav unit and bolted it to one of the bolts that was there already. It tended to swivel a little so I installed a small flat aluminum to the unit and to one of the bolts. It is so small and light you could probably velcro it or something.

The factory harness does not work. I tapped into the ignition and power wires from the fusebox with fuse extenders. You have to use the antenna it comes with as it is a modern WAAS enabled atenna, just ran it to the back shelf and hid all wires. The current antenna won't fit as the connectors are different.

You have to run the lcd cable it comes with as one end has the 12 pin din connector and the other end has a larger molex type connector.

no install pics as it was night when I did it.

not sure about the color change. you can change the color of the route.

the first post has a video of the bootup and some use of it. the subaru emblem and nag screen are built into the lcd software. after hitting agree you get a kenwood garmin screen while the software loads.

• 2 weeks later...

Wacky NAV-n00b question: can I purchase a Subaru NAV LCD, the Kenwood G510 unit and other required installation accessories and install them in an '05 that currently does NOT have NAV?

Is it that simple to suddenly have NAV? Thanks, and please be gentle.

Wacky NAV-n00b question: can I purchase a Subaru NAV LCD, the Kenwood G510 unit and other required installation accessories and install them in an '05 that currently does NOT have NAV?

Is it that simple to suddenly have NAV? Thanks, and please be gentle.

Hmm, this has gotten me to thinking about a cheap nav system with out having to do the whole double-din retro and replacing my factory HU. I could get a hide away nav unit, factory benzel and a kenwood touch screen? What do you think?

Archived