LegacyGT.com

6 cyl oil filter socket ?

Does anyone k ow where to get a 78mm oil filter socket for a 3.6R oil filter? None of the auto parts houses have that size and I can't find one on the Internet that's not on some sketchy Chinese website...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It should only be hand tightened.

I imagine he's looking for one to remove the filter, and if it's like the one I took off my car from the factory, you'd have to have hands like the Incredible Hulk to remove it without some kind of wrench!

It should only be hand tightened.

Filters say to tighten 3/4 of turn after o-ring makes contact. If you can do that by hand, go try out for world's strongest man.

Obviously you don't have a 3.6R. If you did, you would know that if you left the filter hand-tight you would leave a trail of oil on the road.

There is a piece of the block that sticks out and catches on a 3-prong universal wrench & I'm getting tired to spending 10 minutes trying to get an oil filter on.

Filters say to tighten 3/4 of turn after o-ring makes contact. If you can do that by hand, go try out for world's strongest man.

You should hit the gym.

I've owned my fair share of Subaru's, putting probably close to 500k on all of them combined. Never once have I used any kind of tool to install an oil filter, and never once have I left a trail of oil caused by a leaking filter. That's around 170 oil changes without a single hiccup, and that doesn't include the hundreds of oil changes I've done on other cars.

As for removing a stuck filter, a screwdriver never fails.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I picked up a socket at O'Reilly. Its a dual size, fits my LGT and 3.6. I use it to remove only, and always hand tighten. I've never had a leak. I used a socket to put on a filter once a loooooong time ago. Big mistake. Unless you are some beast of a (wo)man, you can crank that thing hard by hand and really have no issues.

Archived