LegacyGT.com

removing spoiler

mjp0212

any body/paint people wanna guess around how much im gonna have to pay to get the stock spoiler removed, holes filled, painted over? swap doesnt seem to be an option for me unfortunately and i really dont like the look of the car w/ the spoiler.
stage 2

yeah.

That was my problem cost to repair vs. replacement.

I'm waiting another year to find a salvage lid already in my color. Hard though since they stopped the color and it was LGT specific.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I need to get this done soon so I'll let you know what I pay for it. My spoiler is comletely cracked on the underside and around the light. I already took it to one place and they didn't want to do it so they didn't give me a price but I'm gonna try and get some prices at other places in the next week or two.

I've tried to find a trunk from someone that wrecked their car and was parting it out but I haven't had any luck so far.

Claim it as a hit and run, as it technically was... and then when it's in the body shop, tell the guys to just yank the thing off and fill the holes and paint the trunk.

Tell them they can keep the spoiler that the Insurance company sourced as part of the repair.

• 2 weeks later...

removal is easy... just pop the trunk & look in the general area where the wing is attached..if I remember the nuts are 10mm

remove the bolts (& perhaps nuts) find the brake light connector.. disconnect..

ease the wing off..

look around for some press in plugs (domes) as a temporary measure. (if you're lucky you may find a colour match..)

find some subbie buds to hang with .. they will (probably) be able to help you fill & prep the holes..

then worry about paint

Of course... not ruling out finding someone who want's to trade decks.

I think I'm just gonna replace the cracked spoiler with a new one as it is the cheapest option and I can use the money on other things.

Prices I've found for those that are interested:

1) Quote to do a spoiler delete from a local body shop = $1100

2) New trunk lid with primer only = $440 shipped then add a few hundred for paint

3) New subaru spoiler painted to match factory color = $325 shipped

$1100? Are you serious?

They should be able to patch up the the holes, and paint only those spots to match. Sounds like they'd be repainting the entire trunk. I know that that is the "right" way to do it, but a good shop would be able to paint just those areas.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wow, I thought it was going to be the cheapest to have the holes filled and painted, never expected a factory part to be the cheapest option...Im floored...

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Yeah it rediculous. The price was to weld all the holes shut, so that you don't have bondo that might crack over time with closing the trunk hard, and repaint the entire trunk.

I guess this is why no one seems to have had this done.

Yeah I mean I know that it wasn't cost effective, but still.

Am I wrong in saying that a shop should be able to just repaint those areas? Ive had body work done in the past on cars, and shops would only paint the repaired area....and they'd do a darn good job.

My buddy had the entire rear end of his car replaced/repaired/and repainted for $100 more than the quote of your trunk.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived