LegacyGT.com

Rattle Can For Exterior Accessories?

careercadaver

Picked up a set of JDM spats and was considering rattle canning them as I have done in the past. However, this time around I have the SWP (37J) tri-coat paint.

I know NAPA typically color matches paint and wondered if anyone had decent luck with these products matching up. I'm likely going to a body shop for these but wanted to weigh options. If you could include pictures of product and results that would be more than helpful as well

I've had very mixed results using Napa color code matched paint.

First project worth noting I was repainting some WRB side skirts to match the lower gold/grey of my OBS. Got a can mixed, wasnt anywhere close wet. Decided to paint them anyways, let them cure and cleared them, still nowhere close. It looked like brown compared to beige. Went back and verified the codes, used the color code reader tool which came up with a different color code but with the exact same mix numbers. We mixed that color and the paint came out the same. I ended up going elsewhere to get a completely custom color mixed by a pro using the original code as a guide for where to start.

My second and very opposite experience was with the upper Metallic Blue Pearl color on my OBS (looks almost black in overcast or night, blue metallic-ish in sun). I was getting a can mixed at Napa figuring it cant be worse than the previous color I tried. I was repainting a JDM grill and color matching some corner markers. Painted all the parts and cleared them. Let them dry and cure, and they came out perfect. Amazing match.

Napa was great at returning and refunding for the paint that didnt match, but obviously primer, adhesion promoter and clear were all wasted.

Worth a try in my books. Painting them twice can be a hassle but you're likely still going to be under the cost of getting them painted professionally.

I'd recommend using adhesion promoter for spats/side skirts, along with a good 2K gloss clear.

Find an auto body supply shop near you, they can set you up. It's more expensive but you get a better quality paint and probably a better match. I too have SWP and I was considering doing this for some parts. My local auto body supply shop wants $80 and it will come in 2 cans for the 3 stage paint, base coat and pearl/clear.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived