LegacyGT.com

91 legacy awd problem

Ill ask the stupid questions first, is the driveshaft still in place? Is it an auto or manual?

I think the easiest way it to find a safe place with a lot of snow and have someone stand out side then hit it hard. If all four spin then you are good.

I dont know about the 1st gens but I know the 2nd gens have a FWD fuse on the pass side strut tower to put the car into FWD limp mode. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Otherwise you maybe blew your rear diff, I would think you would have heard that happen.

It has the spot for the fuse...nothing in it which should make it awe. Going to try putting one in after work and see if anything changes. Rear diff could be blown I suppose. I bought the car in the summer, and it has had the transfer and diff swapped...from a 92 NA. How can I check if the diffs blown short of taking the cover off...Jack up the rear and spin the tires? I'm assuming if its blown I can rotate one without the other moving?...it doesn't make any noise that I can tell...the car is pretty loud anyways...lol

If the rear diff were blown you'd know it.

And under normal conditions the spot for the fuse should be empty. If you insert the fuse the car will be in FWD mode. Without the fuse the car is in AWD. FWD mode is for diagnostic/emergency purposes only and should not be used for long commutes or daily driving.

Ok, tried the burnout on snow in the parking lot after work tonight, and the guy I was working with said it didnt look like the rear wheels were moving much, if at all. What is the split f/r on a 91? Could I just be too used to my 05, and its snow donut happiness? I thought I read somewhere that the early AWD's were basically FWD with power only going to the rear under slippage and even then its not much. I would think its enough to at least kick the rear end out though...hmmm.

Wont be able to jack the rear up for a while, unless I get time tomorrow. I work straight till next friday...

Archived