LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 question

Hey guys, I'm planning to go stage 2 any day now, well, as soon as I resolve this question I'll be ordering the parts. At what point is it recommended/necessary to upgrade the intercooler? My plan at the moment is downpipe, uppipe, and likely headers(and tune of course), but I wanted to make sure that none of these mods would necessitate an intercooler upgrade.

Also, in regards to the uppipe, right now I'm planning to get a Cobb. Anyone have any feedback on it? better suggestions?

Thanks!

You should be fine, Just get a bullet proof kit and never worry about it. It can pop at stage two but just remember its the same intercooler thats on the newer wrx's with a vf52. Mine separated 2 intercoolers with a vf52 with supporting mods but I am putting down decent power.

Can't go wrong with Cobb they make a quality product you can price shop and maybe fine a better deal. one with a flex pipe will make it easier on the installer.

There might be cheaper options over the Cobb UP.. Any 02+ WRX/STi/LGT UP will fit so browse the classifieds here and nasioc for a good deal. No need to spend +$180 for an UP.

New gaskets for the UP, manifold & DP, either OEM or Grimmspeed.

BullerProof your TMIC, and you'll be all set at stg2.

i went with a stock sti up pipe..... no issues what so ever ..

im stage 2 also . been for about 6k miles.. i didnt upgrade my tmic till last month . and mine was still in great shape .

my car only has 58k miles and 6k of that is stage 2 .. and im running about 19psi

Get a custom etune rather than just the cobb stage 2 tune. That thing sucks imo. Etune costs $150 with the cobb ap and just just plug it into computer and upload it.

I still have my stock tmic on at 19 psi custom stage 2 tune. I did jb weld the stock end tanks pretty well on my tmic though. I also have an avo tmic ready to go on whenever I get a chance.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Like mentioned above, the stock tmic is able to handle just about anything the stock turbo can throw at it as long as its reinforced in some way *jbweld trick or bmb bulletproof kit*

The up and down pipes really Dont matter when it comes to brand UNLESS your going catted, if so you want to buy a brand that is using a quality cat like Cobb or invidia. If you skimp on a catted dp you may still run into issues passing emissions in the future.

Hope that helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I was surprised at how cold the stock tmic was after many hard 0-75 or so pulls I did. Pulled over after a minute or two easy driving and stock tmic was cold to the touch. Hot side a little warm cold side felt like it was refrigerated!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Thanks guys! Great advice! I was not aware of 'bulletproofing' the intercooler, I'll have to search on that. For what it's worth my car is an '07 with 36,500mi on it..

For the downpipe I've been pretty sold since just about day one on the catted CNT- based on the reviews/comments I've read. Pretty good price too. Def planning all Grimmspeed gaskets. Headers I'm planning on getting Borla. My hope is next year to go with the racerx FMIC, and then swap hoods for a 2.5i: STEALTH!! :cool:

I was planning to get a custom tune for stage 2 as well. I tweaked my ap stage 1 map for my typhoon intake and everything looks good, but at stage 2 I'd feel better with a professional tune.

My cnt has been on for 35,000 miles and still goin. You won't need a new intercooler until your past the vf40. I don't know if your going to be doing the installs but a Fmic is expensive to have a shop install I had a racerx and I got quoted 9hrs of labor at 100/hr. so I went with a Perrin tmic which was about 30min of labor including having a ebcs installed. After that experience i can safely say that I should have just bullet proofed it and bought new struts/springs.

You will be fine. Later down the line do abigger i.c and fuel pump with a pro tune or open source. The stock tmic is only really good for up to 17.5lbs of consistent boost before literally begins to fall apart. If you buy a torque solutions tmic buy the Mr gasket thermostat housing gasket 738g for your turbo->intercooler (you will see why when you look at it) the avo throttlebody hose and vibrant t bolt clamps before upping the boost otherwise you will leak like crazy.

My cnt has been on for 35,000 miles and still goin. You won't need a new intercooler until your past the vf40. I don't know if your going to be doing the installs but a Fmic is expensive to have a shop install I had a racerx and I got quoted 9hrs of labor at 100/hr. so I went with a Perrin tmic which was about 30min of labor including having a ebcs installed. After that experience i can safely say that I should have just bullet proofed it and bought new struts/springs.

I will likely be doing the install stuff myself, as I have the Passat I can afford to have the LGT laid up for a few days. But the FMIC is something I was debating dropping it off for. Good to know. I was originally debating between stage2 and doing suspension as I'm stock in that dept, but then after driving my Passat and getting in the LGT it handled great and I didn't notice the body lean I was planning to eliminate. Nothing like a $35K suspension fix :lol:

Im running a Megan racing catless and love it.

No issues with emissions being catless? I'm pretty sure RI follows Cali emissions laws, which was a driving factor for me to get catted. I didn't want to be switching out downpipes in Jan to pass inspection.

Seems people are starting to report problems with their CNT catted dp's and the actual cat degrading over time.. I've seen one report so it may be isolated, but buyer beware.

There are also many incidents of poor cnt quality control and fitment issues.

I will likely be doing the install stuff myself, as I have the Passat I can afford to have the LGT laid up for a few days. But the FMIC is something I was debating dropping it off for. Good to know. I was originally debating between stage2 and doing suspension as I'm stock in that dept, but then after driving my Passat and getting in the LGT it handled great and I didn't notice the body lean I was planning to eliminate. Nothing like a $35K suspension fix :lol:

No issues with emissions being catless? I'm pretty sure RI follows Cali emissions laws, which was a driving factor for me to get catted. I didn't want to be switching out downpipes in Jan to pass inspection.

some fmic kits are more difficult than others. stay away from godspeed I have heard nothing but bad things about their kit. the catless downpipe wont pass inspection nor will it pass emissions. -_- it is inevitable but you will need to remove and swap it for the stock one to pass emissions if you go catless. I am in the process of registering back in Colorado where I was stationed so I can avoid the emissions b.s.. ca is too strict in my opinion.

some fmic kits are more difficult than others. stay away from godspeed I have heard nothing but bad things about their kit. the catless downpipe wont pass inspection nor will it pass emissions. -_- it is inevitable but you will need to remove and swap it for the stock one to pass emissions if you go catless. I am in the process of registering back in Colorado where I was stationed so I can avoid the emissions b.s.. ca is too strict in my opinion.

the racerx is the only one under consideration for me, as to my knowledge it's the only one out there where you can keep the front crashbeam. And honestly, the only reason I want a FMIC at all is to change hoods for a 2.5i so I can be stealth (I'd get the black powder coat on the intercooler too).

Is a good kit and he keeps updateing it to make it a better but if I were to do it myself I would need a second car on hand, a friend to help and a big wrench with a pole to smash my frustration out.

The lgt is already stealth enough I think

Is a good kit and he keeps updateing it to make it a better but if I were to do it myself I would need a second car on hand, a friend to help and a big wrench with a pole to smash my frustration out.

The lgt is already stealth enough I think

The LGT is pretty stealth, my decision to go super stealth was back when it was my daily driver. Now that I have the TDI Passat for my daily driver, I'm feeling less inclined to go super stealth, though I still may. Either way, it's a year or so away.

Archived