LegacyGT.com

LGT's OBXT's in San Antonio?

Autoevo

Hey Folks,

Thinking of moving to SA with my wife and wanted to know:

1. What's the area like? Good, Bad, the Ugly

2. Are there any members out there?

3. Job situation

I'm from the Washington DC Metro area and it's really congested, housing prices are through the roof. Wanted a good place to raise a family and hopefully get a place with a garage so i can wrench on the OBXT!!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just joined this forum as im thinking of getting a LGT. San Antonio is great. Housing is good. Lots of nice areas to live.

I dont see a lot of legacys but i havent really looked really hard yet.

I know the impreza guys meet like once a week, or at least they used to.

I was born and raised in S.A.. will be moving back next year.

The city is pretty well laid out, hub and spoke style infrastructure, however the outer loop (TX 1604) is slowly being worked on to accommodate the growing north side of the city. There is lots of night life, lots of shopping, a few lakes within an hour from the city.

Living expenses is still pretty cheap, you can have a 2000+ sqft house built for around 100-110 grand (depending on the builder). Renting prices though are pretty high.. I'll be renting a house for a few years, and the ones I'm looking at cost around 1100 a month.. for a 3 bed/2bath 1600ish sq ft and a garage.

The weather sucks though, expect weeks of 100+ temperatures during the summer and fall, nice cool nights during the winter, very little snow, a bit of ice. Very little rain (though November and Dec saw quite a bit).

The cops are pretty reasonable, they're out there, but they aren't aggressive. When you get to the smaller suburbs though, that's another story.

It seems as there is really only two seasons there. But we are looking to find a place to raise a family and I have heard good things about SA. Hell a 2000sqft here is 500k at least. We pay about $1400 for a 800sqft apartment outside of D.C.!

I've lived here my whole life (well except one year when I went to college in Galveston). I love this city. There aren't too many Subaru's in San antonio, although the foresters and outbacks are catching on here nicely. You'll see a few of those. We need to come up with a wave or something when we come across other Subaru's. I usually wave at other Subaru owners but they usually think I want to race or give me a strange "what's your problem" look. I guess it's just a car to them and don't look for other Subaru's on the road like I do. The north park Subaru service dept is very good and helpful. So you're in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were in the same situation you're in - working in the Silver Spring MD area and frustrated by the traffic and cost of living. We moved to Austin and love the whole Central Texas area. It's 75 miles to SA and we go there a few times a month and always take out-of-town company there - it's a neat city. The areas around the Hyatt Hill Country and La Cantera have some nice neighborhoods. You just need to get used to the summer heat.

--

2006 LGT 5EAT - Cobb DP, GTSpec UP

Thanks folks,

The prices for homes and rent here are insane and when my wife and i looked at the prices in SA we nearly dropped everything and moved that night! Assuming we can find work there we may want to move sooner rather than later.

My wife and I were in the same situation you're in - working in the Silver Spring MD area and frustrated by the traffic and cost of living. We moved to Austin and love the whole Central Texas area. It's 75 miles to SA and we go there a few times a month and always take out-of-town company there - it's a neat city. The areas around the Hyatt Hill Country and La Cantera have some nice neighborhoods. You just need to get used to the summer heat.

--

Did you get a job there prior to going or throw fate to the wind?:eek:

Wages though are typically lower, but living expenses are lower too.. but you don't have state income taxes

Nice, I have been perusing the job boards in that area and it seems that i may be able to get a comparable job to what I have not without taking too much of an income hit.

--

That's cool!! Have you been to any spurs games? I have a sister in law who lives in Austin, I love that city!! We go up ther about every 3-4 months or so. I always have to eat at The Oasis restaurant!! Amazing view and the foods pretty good. I actually bought my '08 Impreza from the Georgetown Subaru dealer. Got a fantastic deal on that one!!!! Then I traded it in fory Legacy a few weeks ago. I loved that Impreza but the Legacy is a far superior car!!

Did you get a job there prior to going or throw fate to the wind?:eek:

We had jobs before we came here (we both do software) but we've been here for quite a few years now. What industry are you in?

That's cool!! Have you been to any spurs games? I have a sister in law who lives in Austin, I love that city!! We go up ther about every 3-4 months or so. I always have to eat at The Oasis restaurant!! Amazing view and the foods pretty good. I actually bought my '08 Impreza from the Georgetown Subaru dealer. Got a fantastic deal on that one!!!! Then I traded it in fory Legacy a few weeks ago. I loved that Impreza but the Legacy is a far superior car!!

Never been to spurs game yet. Austin is an awesome city - big enough to have a lot of interesting things to do, but small enough to be able to get around town pretty quickly (although traffic has gotten worse over the years). The UT campus always seems to keep the city hopping. The Oasis is a cool place to take company and hang out at Lake Travis. There are tons of great restaurants around town and most are really reasonably priced.

Congrats on the Legacy - you'll really like it. I've had mine since the end of November and I've really been enjoying it. It's my first AWD and first turbo car and I can't believe I hadn't discovered the car sooner. I've always had RWD and typically V8s, but the LGT can more than hold it's own in the power and handling department.

We had jobs before we came here (we both do software) but we've been here for quite a few years now. What industry are you in?

Never been to spurs game yet. Austin is an awesome city - big enough to have a lot of interesting things to do, but small enough to be able to get around town pretty quickly (although traffic has gotten worse over the years). The UT campus always seems to keep the city hopping. The Oasis is a cool place to take company and hang out at Lake Travis. There are tons of great restaurants around town and most are really reasonably priced.

Congrats on the Legacy - you'll really like it. I've had mine since the end of November and I've really been enjoying it. It's my first AWD and first turbo car and I can't believe I hadn't discovered the car sooner. I've always had RWD and typically V8s, but the LGT can more than hold it's own in the power and handling department.

Thanks! I am really loving my Legacy!! Congrats to you too and welcome to the Subaru family!! Yep, they're amazing vehicles!! My first Subaru was an '08 Forester XT which we traded in for our '09 Forester XT Limited. The turbo is fantastic!!!

I'm in the IT industry namely a System Administrator. My Wife is in banking. Ideally we would like to find something before November since that is when our lease is up.

Thanks! I am really loving my Legacy!! Congrats to you too and welcome to the Subaru family!! Yep, they're amazing vehicles!! My first Subaru was an '08 Forester XT which we traded in for our '09 Forester XT Limited. The turbo is fantastic!!!

My previous (and first) Subaru was a 95 Outback and that's when I fell in love with it. It was dog slow but when we got the really bad snows the last few years here, it was a champ. It just felt good to be cruising past BMW's and Mustangs that were not able to make it past slight inclines in the road. Kinda effed up... i know.:rolleyes:

My previous (and first) Subaru was a 95 Outback and that's when I fell in love with it. It was dog slow but when we got the really bad snows the last few years here, it was a champ. It just felt good to be cruising past BMW's and Mustangs that were not able to make it past slight inclines in the road. Kinda effed up... i know.:rolleyes:

No way!!! That's not effed up, that's awesome!! It sounds like you take great pride in driving a Subaru, as I do!!! I'm extremely proud of my Subaru's. It feels great diving past camrys and accords and other midsized cars, and thinking "I know they like my car better, they're probably wondering why they followed the herd". Lol!!

No way!!! That's not effed up, that's awesome!! It sounds like you take great pride in driving a Subaru, as I do!!! I'm extremely proud of my Subaru's. It feels great diving past camrys and accords and other midsized cars, and thinking "I know they like my car better, they're probably wondering why they followed the herd". Lol!!

^ Nice!:lol:

So can anyone tell me if AWD is really necessary out in Texas? How often does it come in handy? I could understand for track purposes in the LGT but with an OBXT it seems as if I would rarely need the clearance or the AWD for that matter. Not that would give up the scoob but I just wanted to pose the question.

So can anyone tell me if AWD is really necessary out in Texas? How often does it come in handy? I could understand for track purposes in the LGT but with an OBXT it seems as if I would rarely need the clearance or the AWD for that matter. Not that would give up the scoob but I just wanted to pose the question.

It definitely comes in handy with our crazy weather (one minute super hot and dry, then the next a tropical downpour and flash flooding). But, it's also really handy for the Texas parks and beaches. That's when we really need it. There are a few parks in Texas that have off road trails (some more extreme than others) and our Forester handles them like a champ when others are there in Wranglers with super huge tires! It's also a blast on the beach when you get into the softer sand. So...yes, it'll come in handy. But for everyday DD use, I'd say it's more of a nice to have luxury than anything. It's also a good feeling to speed out from a red light on an uphill in the rain, everyone else will be spinning their tires and I always easily pull away with no problem. Then you get the "how the hell did he do that look"... crazy non-Subaru owners!

It definitely comes in handy with our crazy weather (one minute super hot and dry, then the next a tropical downpour and flash flooding). But, it's also really handy for the Texas parks and beaches. That's when we really need it. There are a few parks in Texas that have off road trails (some more extreme than others) and our Forester handles them like a champ when others are there in Wranglers with super huge tires! It's also a blast on the beach when you get into the softer sand. So...yes, it'll come in handy. But for everyday DD use, I'd say it's more of a nice to have luxury than anything. It's also a good feeling to speed out from a red light on an uphill in the rain, everyone else will be spinning their tires and I always easily pull away with no problem. Then you get the "how the hell did he do that look"... crazy non-Subaru owners!

Has anyone driven their Subaru onto a beach? I wanted to try one but i was just afraid i was going to dig myself into the sand.

I haven't driven my LGT on a beach, but I have driven my G8 on the hard packed sand in Port A with no problems. I just make sure I wash the underside afterwards. My daughter got her IS300 stuck in some soft sand in Port A. I read her the riot act for that one, but so far there hasn't been any collateral damage.

Regarding jobs in SA, USAA has a big presence there and is supposed to be a great company to work for. You might try applying there - and your wife too since she's into financials.

https://www.usaa.apply2jobs.com/profext/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.searchJobs&txtKeyword=&searchStateID=43

Archived