LegacyGT.com

Roof Rack for LGT Wagon

neutrino60

I was looking at roof rack systems for my 2005 Legacy GT wagon. The Yakima towers that fit are the EZ Rider towers. They are a non-locking tower, and I would prefer something that locks. Thule doesn't seem to have anything that they say will fit the LGT wagon yet. Do the Subaru optional racks lock?

Thanks,

Jim

I have the EZ Riders. My main concern was they didn't lock too. But, after I installed them and took them off a few times, the process wasn't exactly a quick. Much slower than any locking system I've used. If something better finally comes out I'd consider it, but I need a rack now, and the Yakima works.

My complaints are windnoise and gas mileage with the rack installed.

thought about having a hitch installed? I had that same problem (gas and wind noise) on my outback. it sucked. hardly used my sunroof.

I'm looking into that now. tired of throwing the bike in the trunk

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

thought about having a hitch installed? I had that same problem (gas and wind noise) on my outback. it sucked. hardly used my sunroof.

I'm looking into that now. tired of throwing the bike in the trunk

That's exactly what I'm doing! The sunroof was one of the main reasons I bought the car. I couldn't open it with the rack installed.

I'm considering two, Saris makes the "Cycle-on", and Yakima has the "hookup". Hitch racks are getting better.

I have the OE Racks and I am ready to throw them in the trash. All four endcaps fell off, exposing the raw aluminum bars which chew up my knuckles while tightening. The rubber pads fell off the feet. Its easy to over loosen the bolts and have them come all the way out. I'm going to check out the yakimas

I know it might not apply if you don't have the factory rails, but here is my Thule setup: http://legacygt.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=3906

I love it. Already had two kayaks and two bikes up top a few times this Spring. The fact that I put bikes and everything else I can tie down on my roof is what disqualified the limited with its sunroof for me. (That, and the fact that I have a friend with a 2001 Outback - his sunroof is stuck closed and they want over $1000 to fix it!)

A few notes on Thule for the factory rails:

-I used the 415 feet, which use a clamp. The 450 also works and uses a metal-reinforced strap rather than a clamp. I trusted the clamp more, but a friend has the 450 and loves it. In hindsight, I would have gone with the 450 because it would allow the feet to be mounted through the factory rail support in the front. This would allow my box to be mounted farther forward so I could open the rear hatch higher than with my setup.

- If you get a fairing, which I would highly recommend for preventing whistling road noise, consider getting a longer one than recommended. I went with a huge one because a friend at a local shop needed to get rid of it and gave me a great deal. I just cut off the plastic end caps, leaving their backing which is needed for connecting the fairing. The result is a much cleaner-looking fairing that flairs to cover the feet. The guy at the shop now recommend this setup to anyone with factory rails. Again, see the photos in my vBGarage: http://legacygt.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=3906

As far as Thule vs. Yakima - I'm loyal to Thule because they've been good to me and I used to sell their stuff, but it's really a matter of what's available near you and what kind of price you can get.

Be careful with hitch mounts - they can greatly affect your suspension behavior, especially on bumpy roads. Ex-girlfriend has a forester and with two light road bikes on the back the ride was horrendous. So much bouncing. If you do get a hitch mount for bikes, I would avoid the one Subie offers. It only allows the rack to rotate down, which puts the bikes in an awkward, diagonal position on the ground. Other hitch mounts have a parallel linkage which keeps the bikes vertical. Easier loading and better for the bikes.

There is a Thule Kit for the LGT wagon. The LGT rails are flush, while the OBXT are not so they are not interchangeable. I have the Thule kit and I had to make some modifications to make it fit.....the rear of the rails on the car are closer together than the front and the Thule solution doesn't account for this. I had to use a Dremel to lengthen the channels on the Thule crossbars to allow the feee to slide a few inches closer. By doing this, I can put the rear bar far enough back to take advantage of the wagon's roofline. Prior to doing that, the max spread I could get wass about 30 inches. Thule says this is fine for every load I might carry. I disagree.

I have the EZ Riders. My main concern was they didn't lock too. But, after I installed them and took them off a few times, the process wasn't exactly a quick. Much slower than any locking system I've used. If something better finally comes out I'd consider it, but I need a rack now, and the Yakima works.

My complaints are windnoise and gas mileage with the rack installed.

I leave my factory crossbars and Thule Velo Vise rack (single for now until I buy another) on all the time and haven't noticed any problems at all with windnoise or lower gas mileage. Furthermore, I don't have any trouble using my sunroof. In fact, last night coming from a time trial at Lowes Motor Speedway I was cruising up to 75 mph with the bike on top and the roof open all the way. Didn't have any problems at all. Today, crusing around 80 mph with just the rack, roof open and closed with no problems... :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

i saw a set on ebay with cross bars and go them for $90. the ez riders + bars new are quite a bit more, although the ez riders do look more "integrated" and slick looking.

not sure a fairing would work since i have a sunroof... wind noise would become a factor regardless at highway speed with rack or not. that said, i've had a hitch rack before and would consider adding that option.

john

Archived