LegacyGT.com

01 Outback Timing Belt Update.

Well I've replaced the water pump and installed a new timing belt use information from the archives and member input. I rotated the engine a dozen times or so and there was no interferance so I started it. It started right up but runs rough. I removed the belt, re aligned the crank and cam pulleys and put it on again. Same thing! I'm not sure that the crank is in the correct position as it was moved when the old timing belt was removed. How do I make sure it's located correctly? Also I'm using the indented stamped marks on the cam pulleys for alignment but there is a red and a white paint mark on each side of the stamped mark. Are either of these correct for alignment? Help!

for the crank, there should be a little notch on the block on the crank sensor, that should be lined up with the same type of notch on the crank gear @ 12:00. For the cams pay no attention to the paint marks, instead u wanna look at the single notch marks on both gears. Both sides should be at 12:00 as well. if the car runs rough STILL, a cam could be off a tooth, the cam gear may be damaged, the cam sensor may be damaged, and the same goes for the crank gear and sensor. Im a technician for subaru so if u need any other details let me know, good luck.

Archived