LegacyGT.com

Spark plug change, CEL, which cylinders?

I just changed my sparkplugs. Started the car, and it was shaking badly and threw a CEL. Cylinder 2 and 3 misfire. Which ones are cylinders 2 and 3? I guess I might have banged the plugs going in and threw off the gap or something...

Are you sure you didn't accidentially switch coils (ie firing order)?

Is there enough length in the wires to even do this by mistake? If there is, this would be my first guess also since canis said "shaking" and the firing order is screwed up.

Is there enough length in the wires to even do this by mistake? If there is, this would be my first guess also since canis said "shaking" and the firing order is screwed up.

Might be enough length, but the check should be that the wires do not cross over each other. On mine the wires go directly to the nearest plug. Or said another way the relative position of the 4 coils is the same as the plug position it goes to.

Doh! Cylinder 3 coil wire had come loose! Car no longer shakes. Still throwing a cylinder 2 misfire code though.

If cylinder 3 wasn't plugged in, would the computer do something to cylinder 2 to compensate? Because the plug (brand new) in cylinder 2 is black.

Yeah... your misfire in 3 would've made the O2 sensor read all screwy....

The other cylinder probably got fattened up (richer) to try and compensate.

Id clear it and go clean everyting out with a spirited drive. ;)

Thanks guys. After plugging in the cylinder 3 coil, waiting 10 min, then starting it and letting it idle for 10 min, I took a short drive to make sure the cylinders were cleared out, and then disconnected the battery for 30 min. I've driven over 20 miles since, and no CEL!

i dont know about you guys but when ever i change my spark plugs i do one at a time. that way there are no problems trying to figure out what wire goes to what cylinder. espically on my 06 charger r/t it has 16 spark plugs

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Archived