LegacyGT.com

:(...For the Love of LGT

This is a rather disheartening message to send to everyone but here it goes...

About a week ago I just put in a new airfilter into the car and decided to go out fora drive afterwards making sure that the filament wouldn't disrupt anything since other were having the discussion at the current time.

Drove around just normal nothing about 4k until I downshifted into 4th to speed up onto the interstate and my car fell flat on its face, christmas lights all over. So of course my immediate thought was maybe I needed to clean my MAF sensor. I pulled over immediately and checked the codes and it registered a misfire in cylinder3 along with PFFFE. Nervous I kept the car under 2.5k put my hazards on and turned around and headed for home.

Got in my garage and started a process of elimination. MAF looked clean as a whistle, none of the hoses and or wires were disconnected or loose. Figuring it was a coil pack issue or perhaps a bad plug I didn't have the tools to flip things around and test so I went to a local subie enthusiasts home last night to check it all out and a new code popped up PFFFF....and here's the result

Pulled the battery and air box and started to swap coil packs. All of which looked super clean. So so far so good.....Second, started with the rear drivers side sparkplug (cylinder4) pulled it out and looked a bit sutty. Meaning the car was running rich. Next up drivers front plug (cylinder 2) same result.

Working over to the passenger side pulled the front first (cylinder1) also sutty but deffinately signs of oil residue. And now the tough part....rear passenger (cylinder3) the ground electrode looked as if it had been hit and two minor markings looking like aluminum, along with oil residue.......not pleasant to witness

Went ahead and did a compression test and I had to walk out of the garage and collect my thoughts after this...

cylinder 3 ......... 28-32

cylinder 1.......... 115-118

cylinder 4........... 110

cylinder 2........... 110

Looking inside the cylinder with a small angled mirrotr since we didn't have a scope you could see something inside 3. What exactly the material I'm not sure

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/stu-nami/Screenshot_2013-11-20-19-27-52_zps9c34bfbf.png

So here's the scenarios I guess

1- Hoping the heads are fine I'll be in need of a new shortblock

2- The passenger head may need rebuilt if damaged and assuming the drivers side is ok with there being no metal in the oil. Then shortblock and seals along with new head

3-IF there is metal in the oil I'm looking at replacing all the hard parts

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather unfortunate I know. I have a feeling this one moment of driving doesn't correlate to the overall problem. If anyone remembers I was trying to figure out why my car was burning oil and discovered it was a bad o-ring? That was earlier this summer so that was replaced.. Odds are this was more or less the issue.

Onward and upward for what's to come I guess. Gotta find a positive out of this, being negative will only poison my love for this car.

Here's a positive, you'll now get to be more intimate with your motor once you start rebuilding it. ;) I was in the same shoes when I blew a ringland on one of my pistons, wasn't sure if I wanted to fix it or sell it at that point. I decided it's a lot cheaper to fix it than to buy a newer car. Good thing I rebuilt it, because you get that bonding feeling when putting it back together and starting it up for the first time. It's like love all over again.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Sue K & N. It's all their fault. ;) That low restiction air filter caused a free flow piston slap. ;) Just kidding of course. Wish you the best with your LGT. Looks like you have other things going on too. I'd check the seals on the turbo when rebuilding engine. Dang. :spin:

But all engines that have gone are EJ:s, no FA/FB that has passed on yet?

Correct. The USDM 5th gen is an EJ.

And yeah FBs are not a stout motor by the way. The angled rods are very weak. Add forced induction to a BRZ and start the stop watch...it's only a matter of time before the motor goes.

This is not a thread I wanted to read. Was hopeful the fault would follow the coil pack; my experience several months back. Cars are funny. Family members are attached to my LGT named FP (flyin pig). Take a few days to be pissed, a few to be unsure of what to do, and many many more to bring the car back to life and reinserted into the family with a smile.

I'm gonna do my best to everyone...

Islandborn-im hoping for the best, won't know full details until inside. Which may be a few weeks or a Mont to figure out how to attack this.

Ehsnils-Yes it had been using/buring oil. .5qt each change so I expected it to be normal. No signs when starting it up in the exhaust. Meaning no smell or fumes when idiling or letting it sit.

F1- I'm hoping so. Stage2 block with forged internals is what I'm leaning toward. Try to make this thing a monster now.

Hmmrdwn- With how corrupt the corporate world is becoming a lawsuit would cost more than the build :) lol

Ebo03- Running a 91oct map and normally fill with 92. Looking forward to what Youre coming up with aoni can somewhat follow suit when it comes to the items you choose for internals. Keep me updated.

Minnicums- I dont want to read all this either, let alone living with it. I'll be all smiles once the process is complete and shes rolling at interstate speeds again. :). Always had a legacy so I wouldnt know what else to do. Not really worth tossing to the side. I owe 12grand still so no point in selling it when I can go even more unique then how it sits now.

Damn, no good bro :( My slipping clutch is giving me heart palpitations, but you are on a waaaay different level. So sorry for this mechanical failure. Well, on a positive note, we all be waiting for your build thread!

Keep up the good attitude s2!!!

You've got a great community here to lean on and we thank you for your contributions thus far.

Will do try to help when and where I can,for scenarios and options available then community here has come full circle and given me tons of info in return. To clear my head a bit I'm going fishing tomorrow hopefully I'll have better luck pulling in some stealhead.

Not going to make any rash decisions.

One thing I think we should do... ebo03 and acumenhokie along with anyone else, including me now. Should start one solid thread of engine rebuilding items being used.

Ebo03- Running a 91oct map and normally fill with 92. Looking forward to what Youre coming up with aoni can somewhat follow suit when it comes to the items you choose for internals. Keep me updated.

I have no plans of building my motor. At least at this moment in time, I have no plans. When it decides to go bye bye I will build it. As much time as I've put into this car, I will not be selling it for quite a while. If Subaru comes out with a turbo Legacy in a few years then I would consider moving on but we shall see.

But when the motor does go I already know what I'm going with. Nothing wrong with thinking ahead right?

I have no plans of building my motor. At least at this moment in time, I have no plans. When it decides to go bye bye I will build it.

This part of his comment holds true for me as well. On the other hand probably won't buy another Legacy GT in a few years and have no clue what parts I would go with for a rebuild.

I've been eying one of those Maserati built Alfa Romeo 4Cs they keep talking about bringing over. :)

(they need to put a real manual and get the price into the 50k range though)

Archived