LegacyGT.com

Did not pass Texas State Inspection...please help.

Hi Guys...Just returned from a state inspection but they were unable to issue the new sticker because some tests couldn't be performed. I've tried searching but the terms that they have on the results sheet weren't yielding any responses. No check engine light...just no output for the specific tests. Here are the results of the "Readiness Test Status".

Misfire Status = Complete

Fuel Status = Complete

Comprehensive Status = Complete

Catalyst Status = Not Complete

Heated Catalyst Status = Not Available

Evaporative Status = Not Complete

Secondary Air Status = Not Available

AC Status = Not Available

Oxygen Status = Not Complete

Oxygen Heater Status = Not Complete

EGR Status = Not Available

From his explanation, I gather that the ones that are causing me to fail the test are the ones that have a "Not Complete" status because the "state computer" is not able to get an output from the car. The car has an open source tune and this is the first inspection after the tune....so I'm thinking that this might have something to do with it. Tuner is closed today so I'll try them on MOnday....but I thought I'd just post the question up here, with the hope that I'm not the first to experience this problem.

The car is a 5eat 2006 LGT. Mods are an SPT cone air filter and tune. Last time I had touched the car at all (ie: oil change, disconnected battery if I did...etc) was at least 1000 miles ago. Again, no check engine light and no rough idle. Car goes when you tell it to...or in other words, I can't tell if there were a problem with the car at all. Is it possible that the items with the "Not Complete" indication have been disabled during the tune? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You need to contact the tuner, but if the inspection station can't read data it may be that their equipment for some reason doesn't agree with the ECU of your car. That means that if you go to a different inspection station you may get through.
453747.png

How long has it been since you had the tune done? More importantly how many miles have you put on it since that tune? If the tune was done or modified recently you may need to put at least 100 miles or so on it so it resets the readiness codes for a retest.

i can't speak for other states but in jersey if they have a problem interfacing with any OBD2 computer they perform a OBD1 style test which is a sniff test. I know of at least 3 people this has happened too....none of which owned subarus how ever

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

I'm in Dallas and they do use the OBD2 port. I have a code reader I use that shows if sensors or ready or not and they will fail it if it isn't. But it should only be an issue if someone reset the computer recently...

I had to drive my tuned vehicle ~50 miles after loading the map (I swap between LGTs) to achieve "code soak" to pass the connection-inspection. Same deal if you had disconnected the battery I was told by my friend the mechanic/inspection agent.....and make sure you gas cap is at least 3 clicks shut!

The problem you are having is that the readiness codes are not set. If the ECU has been reset they take about 50 miles for the readiness tests to be run.

If the ECU has not been reset recently, then the odds are that your tuner made an error (actually several of them) which caused the readiness tests not to be run. The readiness codes are part of any OBD II test.

Thanks for the replies. I don't recall when I last disconnected the battery, but its got to be at least 1000 miles ago. I was going to try a different workshop, but then I thought again, I've been doing my inspections at this same place for the last 2 years. I guess its time to call the tuner.

Dr_Sharp, I thought they had to put it through the state funded inspection box to get approval to issue the sticker? I hope I don't have to drive to San Antonio...but even if I did, I don't think they'd be able to inspect it there. I believe inspections have got to be done within the same county....

Will I need something like a cobb accessport to "extract" the tune? I've got nothing to interface with the OBD port. I'll call the tuner a bit later today....hopefully I'll be able to make it out there before the weekend.

Like RAO said or go back to your Tuner. Or get another Map from one of the Tuners here.

Where in TX do you life ? Cobb is close to Dallas and I also have a buddy there that tunes cars as well. http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ Tony has a AWD dyno too. Tony is not a BIG Subaru guy, but he knows his stuff and knows how to tune a ECU.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i'm here in houston. i'll go by the tuner this weekend (the one who tuned my car). dallas is a bit of a drive. worse case scenario, i'll just get it back to stock at the dealer...and hope that it works. i wouldn't mind gaining back the extra mpg i lost from the tune now. that should work right?

Just wanted to post an update. So, I had to wait till the past weekend before I could bring it to the tuner. Apparently one of the O2 sensors was shut off. Based on my little understanding, this sensor could cause problems for cars running downpipes. Anyways, all is well now. Got my inspection sticker. Now I'm thinking about whether I should keep my ISC coilovers or go back to stock. I love how it brings out the liveliness in the car, but at the same time, Houston roads are really bad. I guess I should start a new post if they come up for sale. Thanks again for all the input provided! Forums rock.

Great to hear!

There are less aggressive suspension set ups that provide a more compliant ride but are still more sporty than stock. Check out the Eibach/MSI/Epic Engineering springs and the Koni struts.

Cheers!

Archived