LegacyGT.com

? about peoples Clutch/Flywheel setup

1slow06LGT

Well Fried my clutch last night driving like an ass aka ripping donuts. I am just wondering why almost everyone on here that has swapped to a SMFW has used the stock 06 wrx flywheel and not a lightened 06 wrx flywheel. I am going with a Bulleydog stage 2 disc and a stage 4 pressure plate and do not know what flywheel I want yet. I am doing a TSK3 sleeve kit also. My other question is anyone near Binghamton NY 13903 want to come chill when I do the install.

I am not enitrely sure on this topic as I have the same question as you. I think people are complaining about chatter (or noise in general) coming from the flywheel. Earlier this week I had an ACT lightweight flywheel / and clutch put on with the TSK3 kit (From FredBean Parts) and have no such problem. Now I am just barely over 100 miles on this set up, but so far so good and I am extemely happy with it. Maybe someone with more knowledge may chime in.

Well for city drivability I think sticking a stage 4 pressure plate is going to be a disaster, but I'm sure you already know what to expect, you'll also be going through the clutch faster with a stronger pressure plate. I did the opposite, with a bully set up, stage 3 clutch, stage 2 pressure plate (Im NA). Drives fantastic, and even my girlfriend controls the clutch shake without problems.

For the flywheel, from past experience, I like the simple way of machining some weight off. Then again, I'm not sure what your flywheel looks like, nor do I know if its machinable, nor do I know if you have access to a machine shop. Costs almost nothing to get done.

what is causing the chatter these people are talking about?

FWIW, I had a LWFW for ~25k miles. Coupled with a Spec Stage 2+ clutch, it was very nice. Yes, you have chatter down in the lower RPM's, but it wasnt the worst thing in the world. The only time I would say steer clear of a LWFW is if you have stop and go traffic all day every day. I was commuting ~2 miles every day, but that was onto a military base, so it was stop and go like nobody's business... Tore through that clutch well before it should have with normal driving.

And if your looking for a cheap LWFW, I still have my Spec for sale :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

So maybe I'm lucky but I put another 60 miles on it between last night and today and still have no chatter, it is so smooth. The grabby-ness of the clutch has already seemed to subside or I have just gotten used to driving it.

1slow06LGT:

The drivability is great, I can obviously notice the engine spool up a lot faster, but nothing that I would be worried about in stop and go traffic, just a little less pressure in the right foot.

So far I am extrmely happy with this set up, I am headed up to the mountians this weekend I'll let you know how the car felt dealing with oh so great traffic on I-70 ;).

LWFW's

Big B Do you have the TSK3 Sleeve kit or no?

Ok, but what about the FW is causing chatter, it's not simply the fact that it's lighter...? I've only driven 3 cars with LWFW, so I guess it varies, but in an impreza, a Legacy (BE) or an A4 I've never heard of this.

I installed a new clutch and lwfw. Clutch is great, car drives really and accellerates much better but I have chatter at low revs, light load (I can only hear it if the window is down and in a parking garage or going past a fence) and at idle sometimes when the a/c is turned on.

Now I didn't really smother the tob mating surface with heaps of grease (worried about it gunging up) and my input shaft (where it mates with the clutch was basically clean as a whistle). I am wondering if the lack of grease (especially on the input shaft) is allowing the resonance and the slight noise? Did you overly grease your input shaft or the TOB surface on the trans case?

I get zero noise on decelleration. I don't really want to pull the box to see if a bit more grease will make it a bit quieter but who knows what one will do on a Sat night if bored.

I noticed that the clutch fork was pretty loose too. Didn't seem to have a strong grip of the TOB. Was also surprised that the TOB rides permanently on the face of the pressure plate due to the positive pressure of the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder seems to have a spring in it or some positive pressure that pushes the piston outward. When it comes off the car it pushes all the way out.

All the other cars I generally work on have a bit of play before the TOB contacts the pressure plate fingers. You actually feel the play taken up before the TOB starts to press on the clutch.

I noticed that the clutch fork was pretty loose too. Didn't seem to have a strong grip of the TOB. Was also surprised that the TOB rides permanently on the face of the pressure plate due to the positive pressure of the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder seems to have a spring in it or some positive pressure that pushes the piston outward. When it comes off the car it pushes all the way out.

All the other cars I generally work on have a bit of play before the TOB contacts the pressure plate fingers. You actually feel the play taken up before the TOB starts to press on the clutch.

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru... Ok, so I thought it was funny.

It's probably a combination of all those factors that causes the sound issues, and possibly why the clutch fork spring works (and is standard on some models of STi's).

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Well all my parts are in and I started taking my car apart and I noticed I broke my front right axle : ( So now I need one of those to and my dealership quoted me $406. So now I am searching for them online and can not find them. Advance Auto, Autozone, Napa does not carry them. YAY!

Well for city drivability I think sticking a stage 4 pressure plate is going to be a disaster, but I'm sure you already know what to expect, you'll also be going through the clutch faster with a stronger pressure plate.

[....]

what is causing the chatter these people are talking about?

Bully's "stage 4" PP is really very tame. LBGT and I and one or two others have them. My girlfriend didn't even comment on it when she drove my car.

It's hard to know if we're all talking about the same thing when we talk about chatter or clatter. I get a faint rattle (I thought it was a loose heat shield at first) when I let up on the throttle, just when there's close to zero load on the drivetrain. When under power or engine-braking, it's not present - only in between. I've read that this is gear noise, and the stock DMFW damped it into silence, whereas the WRX SMFW does nothing to quiet it. Seems like a plausible theory.

No 6 grand dumps. I've done some moderately hard launches, trying to keep revs at 4k, but inevitably bogging a bit because I have no practice at this kind of thing. :) It pulls hard.

I don't know that a kevlar clutch is a good choice if you're into drag racing though... it's my undertanding that it only takes one bad launch to burn the clutch, and the only way to recover from that is to replace it. Maybe if you do an abrupt clutch dump with every launch, and have wheelspin rather than clutch slip, that might be sustainable... I really don't know though.

Archived