LegacyGT.com

P0011 Help

I have a P0011 code I’m trying to diagnose on my 2005 LGT and I need some advice. Here is the story:

Check engine light went on a while back and I pulled a P0340 “Bank 1 camshaft position sensor”. I swapped out the camshaft position sensor and the P0340 code went away but a P0011 code appeared. From some research, it seems like the P0011 code can be caused by low oil pressure to the AVCS solenoid, the AVCS solenoid is faulty, bad wiring/ecm, or bad camshaft gears. I’m reasonably confident that it is not an oil pressure issue as I’m pulling a code on only the passenger’s side and I swapped out the turbo oil screen at 200,000 miles (~30,000 miles ago). The screen was free of debris when I pulled it out and I’m assuming in 30,000 miles it hasn’t clogged. No unusual sounds have been heard from the engine to indicate oil starvation. I swapped the AVCS solenoids from bank 1 and bank 2 and that didn’t solve the problem. Today I back probed the AVCS solenoid harnesses to check the voltage and I’m a little confused at this point. According to the service manual the voltage should be 10-13V when the ignition is on and 13-14V when running, I was only able to get ~13mv when the ignition was on and ~0.5V when running. I thought this was strange so I checked the side that wasn’t pulling the code and I got similar results. At this point I'm assuming the solenoids are receiving the corect signal since both sides read the same voltages. I’m starting to think it might be a faulty cam gear, anyone have any advice where to go from here?

IS the top sticky in this forum any help something AVCS...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-request-avcs-related-problem-131462.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I also just got the P0011 error message. I've noticed that the car does idle roughly every once and while but mostly when cold. The light will come on and then go off after a few startups. It usually comes on when I'm on the freeway or cruising around 50-65 mph. I haven't noticed any decrease in power or performance. I drive a 07 LGT stock, except for aftermarket cat-back exhaust.

The P0011 code was partially why I got my OBXT as cheap as I did. I pulled both Oil Control valves, cleaned them with WD40, move the internals back and forth, then put them back in after an hour. Also did an oil change. 1400 miles and it has not come back.

Definitely give it a shot. The hardest part is getting the OCVs out as space is tight. I'm sure if you've done it a few times you do do it in 15 min.

• 3 months later...
I have an update to my old post. Since the first post I swapped out the camshaft sprocket and the P0011 would not go away. Finally broke down and brought it to the dealer. First they claimed it was the OCV. When that didn't work they claimed the oil line was clogged with metal filings and the lower end might be going. After their so called cleanup they said I should be all set. P0011 showed up again. I decided to recheck the screen on the banjo bolt that they clearly never touched and there were no signs of metal filings. I then decided on a hunch to try replacing the aftermarket camshaft sensor with a Subaru OEM part. Bingo, the car is smoother and the P0011 went away! Even though the sensor did not throw any codes related to it the specs must be off slightly and cause the timing advance problem. Now I just need to battle the sneaky dealer for a refund.

I have an update to my old post. Since the first post I swapped out the camshaft sprocket and the P0011 would not go away. Finally broke down and brought it to the dealer. First they claimed it was the OCV. When that didn't work they claimed the oil line was clogged with metal filings and the lower end might be going. After their so called cleanup they said I should be all set. P0011 showed up again. I decided to recheck the screen on the banjo bolt that they clearly never touched and there were no signs of metal filings. I then decided on a hunch to try replacing the aftermarket camshaft sensor with a Subaru OEM part. Bingo, the car is smoother and the P0011 went away! Even though the sensor did not throw any codes related to it the specs must be off slightly and cause the timing advance problem. Now I just need to battle the sneaky dealer for a refund.

Sometimes these weird things happen on these cars. But most of the time, this code is related to the OCV's, either not enough oil pressure to them or one of them is stuck.

Good to hear you got it fixed.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Sometimes these weird things happen on these cars. But most of the time, this code is related to the OCV's, either not enough oil pressure to them or one of them is stuck.

Good to hear you got it fixed.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 4 weeks later...

Some possible issues to check if you have this code

1. Dirty oil (sludge) or incorrect viscosity

2. Blocked oil passages. (Insufficient oil pressure)

3. Faulty Oil Control Valve Solenoid(s)

4. Improper assembly of AVCS cam gear to cam shaft.

5. Sign of possible turbo failure

6. Timing Off

7. Incorrect alignment/assembly of the AVCS gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived