LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

Now, Now, Now, Mike you also have the big oil filter system. You forgot that disclaimer...:)

:rolleyes:Not for the 1st 73k & the G/F's 05 WRX avg. 12k OCI with Amsoil SSO & Ea15k13 signal spin-on filter ( stock Location). Over 150k & no shaft play in the turbo. :cool:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than a fuel pump and injectors, what other supporting mods would be necessary to run an 18g? Would it be the same for a 20g?

Search is your friend. Right at the top of this Forum in the STICKYS.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

See post 2

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've got the BNR 16G installed with an Invidia Up, Down, and CBE. We had some fitment issues with stock TMIC, but got it working, although it was not 100% perfect.

Fast forward a 150 miles and the stock TMIC blew a corner, so after reading on here and others, I ordered the AVO TMIC, as it was supposed to have good fitment. Problem is that the bolts are now a 1/2 inch off.

Any suggestions?

So I've got the BNR 16G installed with an Invidia Up, Down, and CBE. We had some fitment issues with stock TMIC, but got it working, although it was not 100% perfect.

Fast forward a 150 miles and the stock TMIC blew a corner, so after reading on here and others, I ordered the AVO TMIC, as it was supposed to have good fitment. Problem is that the bolts are now a 1/2 inch off.

Any suggestions?

Wow, that's an expensive fix! Did you consider the "bulletproof" mod instead? Less than $100, and fit with stock TMIC (as you found out) is slightly better than aftermarket.. Can you return your AVO?

Wow, that's an expensive fix! Did you consider the "bulletproof" mod instead? Less than $100, and fit with stock TMIC (as you found out) is slightly better than aftermarket.. Can you return your AVO?

The AVO fits more like OEM than any other TMIC we have ever test fit. I have had issues with TMIC fitment on all new BNR turbo housings we have installed.

Note he stated the OEM did not fit well with the turbo either. "Bullet proofing" an OEM TMIC is not something I ever recommend. Doing so with an after market turbo is laughable.

"Bullet proofing" an OEM TMIC is not something I ever recommend. Doing so with an after market turbo is laughable.

Why?

:rolleyes: Here we go again:spin::lol:. This subject is almost as bad as, "What's the best oil to use?".:spin::spin::spin::p:lol:

:rolleyes: Here we go again:spin::lol:. This subject is almost as bad as, "What's the best oil to use?".:spin::spin::spin::p:lol:

Has this been discussed before? If so, I missed it..

I've run a BP OEM TMIC for 30K+ miles with a bnr16g.. No issues to date.

I hear Cobb Plano and AWDTuning are both recommending customers avoid BNR turbos due to high failure rates.

I wish they would post some data about their experience instead of spreading rumor via the interwebs.

There is a huge issue with oiling on the LGT's and the Outback XT's. If the issues aren't resolved, no matter what turbo you put on the car it will fail.

But we all know that. I don't see high failure rates. The very few I have seen have all been oil starved.

Now that I think about it Mike, you know I push IP&T tunes and oil lines. I would put money on it that they are not pushing my products because I tell the customers about your e tunes and that takes business away from them lol.

Bryan@BNR

205 640 1193

Edited by Bryan@BNR

^^ Sounds like par for the course where Cobb is concerned.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I went with a used AVO for my 16g build, but mainly for reliability's sake. Had the BP mod been around at the time I would've at least seriously considered it.

Anyway, I've got ~10K on my 16g so far, still loving it. :D

• Moderators

Using a reinforced stock intercooler at stage 3 is the same as so many other bolt on mods--it's weighing price versus rate of return (other examples include new injectors, EBCS, aftermarket BOV / BPV, and others I'm sure). No one is going to advocate that the same exact setup save for intercooler choice will make the same exact power, the question is how much more does an AVO intercooler get you ~$700? For many running "mild" stage 3 setups (i.e. 16g or vf52), the rate of return on the investment may not be there.

I never push anyone one direction or the other regarding the use of the BP mod. I provide information and the ability to buy the kit in a complete, ready-to-install package. That's it. I routinely tell people that using an aftermarket intercooler will obviously provide the same reliability as a BP'ed stock unit and most likely a slight increase in performance as well. Again, the question is whether the cost is worth it for every single owner out there and the answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I will say that I'm not a proponent of any of the aftermarket "knock-off" units. Don't kill yourself with FMS/etc. stuff that is just going to cause fitment issues. Stock with stock or reinforced stock or go after a legitimate upgrade, i.e. Perrin, AVO, Process West.

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have had issues with TMIC fitment on all new BNR turbo housings we have installed.

Bryan@BNR

Any comment or assistance you can provide? My mechanic/installer is having a heck of a time getting the TMIC mated up with my brand new AVO TMIC and BNR 16G Turbo with the newer BNR Turbo housing.

Thanks

Bryan@BNR

Any comment or assistance you can provide? My mechanic/installer is having a heck of a time getting the TMIC mated up with my brand new AVO TMIC and BNR 16G Turbo with the newer BNR Turbo housing.

Thanks

I believe you can just loosen the collar on the turbo, bolt up the TMIC and then tighten the turbo collar back down. Tightening the TMIC down with the collar loosened should slightly clock the turbo into place.

I don't have first hand experience with that but read it elsewhere in this forum while preparing to do my own 16g install. I didn't have any issues though and I'm running the IPR TMIC (Perrin knockoff).