LegacyGT.com

Jumpy accelaration/ride

This has probably been written about before. But now it's my turn.

I've been noticing that my LGT 5speed 05 Wagon has been driving jumpy lately, especially around 3000 rpm/80 miles per hour.

It's as if the turbo keeps kicking in and dropping out, and it's not smooth.

Has anybody else experienced this? What to do? I did put new Pirelli tires on it lately. And perhaps this is exaggerating the situation?

yeah..if you are new to the car, the throttle is touchy, and weird, it takes a long time to get used to and master, despite the fact it is supposed to make things better.

It may also be the "hesitation" problem many have had where the turbo spools in a very choppy manner between 2-3k under acceleration.

Def not the tires tho I wouldnt say

• 3 months later...

I currently drive the 06 LGT auto and I too have a choppy or jumpy turbo delivery. The car seems to come into full boost late like usual but it's got some sort of hesitation going on. I had an STi before this and the power delivery from the turbo never did this. My LGT feels as if it's boosts then settles, boosts a bit more then settles then full boosts and then drops like usual turbos do. I this normal for the LGT auto?

I'm taking it to dealer tomorrow to hopefully find out what the heck is going on or if it's normal and i need to get back into an Sti.

At 3000 rpm, the turbo is going between full boost and no boost depending on throttle position. Answer: keep your foot still or turn on cruise control. Since I've gone to Cobb Stage 1, I've either gotten used to the issue and it's gone away or I got used to it so I don't notice it anymore.

Yup. This is the all too common studder. I'm surprise you've just now noticed it. I have it in my 06 5MT between 2200-2700. It's not bad at all - and passengers don't notice it - but i do. "lumpy accel" is a great term. Like pouring out halfway congealed gravy. Pour...plop.pour...plop..plop...pour...
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Ok, so the 'gravy' acceleration is normal? What would using the cruise control do besides allow me to take my foot off the pedal? Since i've got the auto, could the stage 1 cobb tuning do much with the incredible turbo lag that i've got? I know i'll gain more hp but lag is horrible.

How cold is it in Detroit this time of year? Some people get boost fluctuation when it gets cold. Is your car stock?

Other than that, I agree with the above posters. 5th gear, 3000 rpm, you're probably near the point of peak boost. Small changes to the throttle may result in boost changes.

Ok, so the 'gravy' acceleration is normal? What would using the cruise control do besides allow me to take my foot off the pedal? Since i've got the auto, could the stage 1 cobb tuning do much with the incredible turbo lag that i've got? I know i'll gain more hp but lag is horrible.

In my experience, cruise control makes gentler inputs to maintain speed than your conscious/subconscious inputs.

The Cobb Stage 1 doesn't really do much about the turbo lag. It does smooth out the power delivery a little, but most of that lag is inherent to a turbo car. The stock uppipe has a cat on it, if you replace it with a non-catted uppipe, in theory that will reduce the turbo lag a little.

The best solution to turbo lag is to use the right gear for the right job. (i.e. downshift to pass) The solution to first gear turbo lag is to power brake, which means you stand on the brake while bringing the engine revs up. This isn't good for your drivetrain; I only do it at the drag strip.

If you think you have terrible lag, you may just not be used to it. It's normal also. I can from the supercharged world - where it was INSTANT FULL BOOST, ALL THE TIME, AT ANY RPM. It took some getting used to, but you'll learn to keep it in the right gear.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Archived