LegacyGT.com

Grinding Noise on Start Up on cold days?

Hey fellow Subie's,

I bought an 09 Legacy (non-turbo) a few months back, and now that it's gotten cold, when I start it in the morning there is an awful grinding noise that lasts about 3 seconds as I start the car.. Anyone else w/ a Legacy ever have this issue and any insights what needs to be fixed? Thanks!

Wow an 09 with the starter hanging up. Never heard of that before, its seems it's 05-06's

Need to pull the starter and gease the shaft.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Wow an 09 with the starter hanging up. Never heard of that before, its seems it's 05-06's

Need to pull the starter and gease the shaft.

I'm getting this but it's not always on cold days, it's avery couple of start-ups so presumably same issue. Just wanted to ask, what kind of grease? Would it really need a high temp grease? Obviously only being engaged on start-up, it in itself doesn't get horribly hot, but I was thinking engine heat everntually getting to it. I ask because I have some lithium complex grease in the garage that is good up to 375 degrees F. General purpose stuff for like linkages, wheel bearing etc.

I would use a high temp grease. Like wheel bearing grease.

FWIW, my 09 started to do this too, finally. It has 45,000 miles on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...
I know this has been dead for a while, but in case someone reads this looking for a solution, the high temp grease worked fine. Shortly after my previous post, pulled starter off and disassembled it magnets and all. Really not that technical, just keep track of how you took it apart and it goes back together the same way. Anyway, took it apart, cleaned it out, and packed the gears with high temp lithium grease. The grind has never occurred since, from hot Alabama summer, to this last snowy winter in Tennessee. So, rest assured it's a good remedy with long term success, and really not that difficult to accomplish.

• 4 months later...

Having the exact same issue! Last year it was only a few times, but this year with the cold it's all the time. I started looking for the grease last year but only found the large 1 lb tubs and gave up. Guess i should just get the tub and pull the starter as we have some 0F days coming up.

Any tips for the job or was it pretty straight forward?

very straight forward. Budget an hour, hour and a half maybe. I went with superlube from harbor freight, which I had lying around. Worked well so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if I need to regrease annually. I used the following DIY.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

Archived