LegacyGT.com

Best Underseat Subwoofer?

sulk

So christmas is coming up, and I figure I might as well get a subwoofer, as I'm spending more and more time in the car.

Preface: I have the wagon for space, and I haul stuff around for work all the time, so I have no space to spare. Also not going to take out my spare/styrofoam instert/side well. So my only option is an underseat subwoofer. Also I have a stock deck (05 2.5i) and jazzy input. Not interested in getting an aftermarket deck.

I've looked around before, and some people say the oem one is decent, others say it suck.

So I was looking into the ones offered by Boss (probably would get the bass1500, as its the newest one)

I know someone posted a guide for installing the smaller version a while back, and it looks good.

Does anyone have any experience with the bass1500, or any of the boss offerings? Are there any alternatives that you'd suggest over it? Or should I just stick with the oem sub and call it a day? I live in canada, so I'd have to get the bass1500 shipped here, so once I have it I'd be stuck with it.

Thanks for reading, and any insight is awesome.

No suggestions for you, but I'm interested in the answer too. I haven't figured it out yet (not much of an audiophile), but I'm just not impressed with the stock system.

I figure I'll replace the radio with a computer some day (for MP3, NAV, etc...), but will still need a sub and maybe new speakers. My last car didn't have a sub, but I feel it sounded better.

You dont have space for the stealth sub box like what JL Audio makes? That would be perfect.

As for under seat subs.. I heard a kenwood unit a few years ago in a shop and it surprised me.. Other than that, I'm not sure.

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

I have a clarion underseat sub and really liked it. I never heard it in comparison to other subs, but I was pleased with how it rounded out the sound in the Legacy.

I have both it and a stock underseat sub that I am waffling on installing in my new car. I actually have the Clarion up for sale (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-wv-clarion-srv314-powered-underseat-subwoofer-150095.html), but if it does not sell, I will probably just install it in the new car.

So christmas is coming up, and I figure I might as well get a subwoofer, as I'm spending more and more time in the car.

Preface: I have the wagon for space, and I haul stuff around for work all the time, so I have no space to spare. Also not going to take out my spare/styrofoam instert/side well. So my only option is an underseat subwoofer. Also I have a stock deck (05 2.5i) and jazzy input. Not interested in getting an aftermarket deck.

I've looked around before, and some people say the oem one is decent, others say it suck.

So I was looking into the ones offered by Boss (probably would get the bass1500, as its the newest one)

I know someone posted a guide for installing the smaller version a while back, and it looks good.

Does anyone have any experience with the bass1500, or any of the boss offerings? Are there any alternatives that you'd suggest over it? Or should I just stick with the oem sub and call it a day? I live in canada, so I'd have to get the bass1500 shipped here, so once I have it I'd be stuck with it.

Thanks for reading, and any insight is awesome.

How much are you willing to spend?

Like someone mentioned: the JL Audio stealthbox

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/11174.jpg

Don't know if it's straight up compatible with our 2.5i stock HU (someone who is knowledgeable will have to chime in) but I've nothing but stellar reviews of its performance and it obviously looks super sleek and takes up no room in the cargo area.

Yea, I've seen the stealthboxes, and they look great.

But I can't give up those little cubbies, theres been plenty of times that I've used them to hold extra gear that had nowhere else to go. If I didn't use the wagon so much for work, they'd definitely be a consideration.

Thanks bomber for the suggestion on the kenwood unit. I looked online and it seems that it may have been the KSC-SW10, and it accepts both RCA and speaker level inputs, and with the stock HU I could just tap into the speaker level at the harness.

At this point I am seriously considering the kenwood unit, while BOSS makes 8~ and 10~ inch options, there seems to be little review info on them online. The kenwood unit seems to have pretty good reviews across various websites. Also, I'd probably be able to get it locally, as opposed to boss. Hmm.. I guess it's time to email boss and see if they have any canadian distributors that I can go and taken a listen to the sub at. If not I may go with the kenwood.

Focal makes a underseat sub, my best guess is that would be the best. They are pretty reasonable too..

$499 does not seem reasonable for a self-contained underseat subwoofer. :lol:

MAYBE $350...

haha Well… I have heard it in another ride… and if you DEAD set on one of these underseat subs… its worth the money, cause most of these things sound like crap…

Im not saying I would do it because sq for the money is crap when it comes to under seat subwoofers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Long time since I wrote anything on this thread, but finally got some time to go into an audio shop, and gave the kenwood KSC-SW10 a try, and it's not gonna fit under either seat. It's just way too big and would have to live on the floor in the backseat.

Going to go a different route right now, possibly with two oem subwoofers and a custom setup down the road.

Long time since I wrote anything on this thread, but finally got some time to go into an audio shop, and gave the kenwood KSC-SW10 a try, and it's not gonna fit under either seat. It's just way too big and would have to live on the floor in the backseat.

Going to go a different route right now, possibly with two oem subwoofers and a custom setup down the road.

If you have a wagon, why not go with something like this? http://seacoastsubarus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20457

If you have a wagon, why not go with something like this? http://seacoastsubarus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20457

It was brought up earlier, but I use my vehicle for work, so I need all the trunk space possible (hence why I got a wagon)

Thought about getting italynstallions(spelling) spare sub box, but I don't think I should be putting large magnets next to expensive camera gear, and also the vibrations it would cause.

How much too big was the kenwood?

I have one of these in my Tacoma, and it's only 3" tall. Pretty impressive as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

Right now I'm not too sure if I want to get another premade sub unless I know it fits. The Kenwood unit was pretty tall and it was over 3" tall. I'm gonna have to do some more research before I get one, I'd like an aftermarket underseat sub, rather than get the oem one.

It looks like that sound ordnance has some good reviews, i will check out the dimensions to see if it will fit

I have the spare tire mounted sub (just removed the styrofoam) and I am amazed at how awesome it sounds. Also, I just added a Pioneer head unit as well, and that was a huge improvement. If you're going to do it, do it right. The sound improved a TON from the Pioneer unit... I would do that before adding a sub.

I have the spare tire mounted sub (just removed the styrofoam) and I am amazed at how awesome it sounds. Also, I just added a Pioneer head unit as well, and that was a huge improvement. If you're going to do it, do it right. The sound improved a TON from the Pioneer unit... I would do that before adding a sub.

I thought about it more, and because I carry a lot of sensitive electronics in my trunk for work I decided against having a large magnet and lotsa vibrations in the trunk.

I think I'm going to get one of those sound ordnance underseat subwoofers, and hope that it fits. Later will get an amp and hook up the sub and component speakers to it.

I prefer the look of the stock head unit, and also don't really need the functionality of a new headunit. I'm fine with radio and aux in since most of my music is on my phone.

I thought about it more, and because I carry a lot of sensitive electronics in my trunk for work I decided against having a large magnet and lotsa vibrations in the trunk.

I think I'm going to get one of those sound ordnance underseat subwoofers, and hope that it fits. Later will get an amp and hook up the sub and component speakers to it.

I prefer the look of the stock head unit, and also don't really need the functionality of a new headunit. I'm fine with radio and aux in since most of my music is on my phone.

I thought the same thing, I liked the factory radio look... but the Pioneer is just so much better. Louder, more clarity, bass is punchier... I enjoyed just having my single 12" sub with my line out converter, but the Pioneer really makes the whole system shine.

Archived