LegacyGT.com

Leaking steering rack - common?

Hey all,

I have a 2008 2.5i limited. For the last couple of years I have had to add a little power steering fluid to the reservoir maybe twice a year. I mentioned to this to the dealer at oil changes but they didn't see anything and topped it up as needed. I have also been under the car a few times and never saw any leakage.

This weekend I found a couple of oily spots on my garage floor. I got under the car with a creeper and found both inner steering rack boots are wet with PS fluid. The driver's side had a drop hanging from it and the pass side one has been leaking onto the exhaust and probably burning off - I can tell from the residue. I had to add about 1/8 quart PS fluid ( I always use Subaru ATF from the dealer).

I have 48K and purchased in 2007. Out of warranty. Is this a known problem for 4th gen Legacy? Or am I just unlucky?

Andy

Known problem.

If you have been telling them about at every oil change and it's been documented on the work order. I'd say a judge would agree that it should be covered.

I had mine replaced this past May.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think mine was like $600 to have it done. If I remember too I'll in the glove box later.

Oh yea they replaced the laft ball joint too as part of that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Muscatell Subaru stepped up and covered the steering rack and an alignment. They agreed I mentioned low fluid at 22k (at 49k now) and they said no problem, we stand behind our cars. Very impressed with the staff there! Moral of the story is anytime something seems off, make sure they document it! It probably helps build goodwill when you have the dealer do the oil changes and minor stuff since new too. Though I did opt to do most of the 30K maintenance myself to save money, I always have them do tire rotations, wipers, coolant flush, other small stuff I'm too lazy to do.

• 1 year later...

Archived