LegacyGT.com

Torque Converter - Confirmed

Initially when the shudder first happened it was so sporadic that I didn't know if I was hearing things or not, it slowly started happening more and more often to the point where it happens just about every other day I drive it.

I was out of the 36/36 warranty not even thinking about the 60/60 power train warranty so I was calling up the other place I have a warranty through going both routes with the dealer and warranty before I realized that I still had some (57,780mi on car) warranty left. So canceled the request through warranty and setup the appointment at the dealership.

I'm thinking that they aren't going to feel the issue and are just going to dismiss it as they probably don't want to deal with it. An hour and a half later they came back and said, the torque converter is bad. My car fell in the TSB guidelines.

Here is the interesting/scary part. They have never had to do this before at this dealership. Last time something happened to my transmission (honda accord) everything else slowly started dying as well. Coincidence, possibly. [3rd gear pressure switch, ecu, 1qt oil every ~750-1000 mi]. Traded that in on this car 6000 miles after the transmission was replaced, luckily under warranty.

The swap is going to take place this Friday, I'll get a loaner car for the day since I work 30-40 minutes from the dealership.

What are your thoughts on future issues, I know they are nearly impossible to predict, but has anyone had these replaced and had any other issues?

Well they key to the whole problem is "slight" acceleration as the TSB say. That is rare for me, except when I am in a "highly enforced" area. The speed limit going into work is 35 and can carry some hefty federal fines. So I keep it at 35, this is primarily where it was always happening.

Typically it happens between 25-35 when you are trying to stay in that range. It sounds like a groan/moan type of thing and I could feel it in the peddle.

They supposedly implemented a fix in 2009. Production fix was implemented in February 5,2009 for 3.0 Legacy. Transmission starting # 316978, and the new part number is (Trq cnvtr) 31100AB132 old part number is (last numbers) 130 or 131.

Are you experiencing this type of behavior?

I do experience a slight jerk under part acceleration when I am driving slowly. But I kinda figured that was how the transmission behaved.

I might check when was my legacy made, maybe that will give me a better picture.

• 1 year later...
I'm glad I found this thread and to hear that you successfully had it diagnosed and replaced. It eases my apprehension about bringing my car in for this issue. My car has 23K on it and does the same thing, sporadic shuddering on TC lockup, feels like driving over a rumble strip. When I first bought the car it was quite a bit worse. If I hadn't bought the car in Florida, wasn't so enamored with the car, and already so frustrated by my purchase experience I would have returned the car. The problem seemed to get slightly better with use and with a trans fluid change but it never went away. Sometimes it will happen 2-3 times on a trip, other times once every few days. I've yet to figure out how to make it act up, every time I try to replicate the conditions it doesn't cooperate. The sporadic nature of the problem and the difficulty in replicating it has me worried about bringing it in and being able to convince the dealer that this is the problem, even though the car falls within the date/VIN range of the TSB. It was built in June of 2008, so must be one of the first 2009's built. I just don't want to waste a bunch of time and get into a debate with the dealer. Hopefully the diagnosis isn't just driving the car around for hours trying to get it to act up.

There is an anti-shudder additive you can put in. Chryslers require it when you do an trans flush/filter/fill to eliminate TC shudder and it definitely works. There are several brands but I always use Lube Gard Highly Friction Modified ATF Supplement. Part number is 61910. You can usually find it a most parts stores.

I also have this problem with my 08. I've got about 32k on mine. It only happens a few times a month. Usually happens under slight acceleration. It is more pronounced going up a small hill or while I'm in a parking while making a wide turn.

I've taken it to the dealership and they did the TSB to re-flash the transmission shift points. This seemed to help for awhile. I've noticed lately it does it less in I mode. When I feel it if I just accelerate more it goes away.

When I took it back to the dealership after the re-flash they say they can't replicated it. Which I understand, because it rarely does it. So just kind of waiting till it get worse or I can replicated it on demand.

JMP, how much of the Lube Guard stuff do you usually put in? I see they sell it as a 10oz bottle.

The website and instructions say 1oz per quart of ATF being replaced.

Yup. Your 5EAT holds about 10 quarts so the entire bottle is what I use.

I also have this problem with my 08. I've got about 32k on mine. It only happens a few times a month. Usually happens under slight acceleration. It is more pronounced going up a small hill or while I'm in a parking while making a wide turn.

I've taken it to the dealership and they did the TSB to re-flash the transmission shift points. This seemed to help for awhile. I've noticed lately it does it less in I mode. When I feel it if I just accelerate more it goes away.

When I took it back to the dealership after the re-flash they say they can't replicated it. Which I understand, because it rarely does it. So just kind of waiting till it get worse or I can replicated it on demand.

Sorry to hear they couldn't replicate it, exactly what I am worried about happening in my case. Did the reflash change anything else about how it shifts? My car has a jerky 2-3 shift sometimes, which seems to be another documented issue with the 5EAT. Mine isn't as bad as some. I'm wondering if your car did that as well and if the reflash helped that. Other places where I've read about it the results seem to be mixed.

Archived