LegacyGT.com

So your a noob? Read this. General LGT info and go faster info

• Moderators

As some have mentioned with increasing frequency, this place is getting a bit of a nasioc vibe to it lately--lots of funny guys giving crap answers. We all like to joke, but at some point you new guys need proper info. So here's a quick run down.

So you want to search for stuff? OK.

Don't use the site for searching. Go to google.com, and type in "YOUR SEARCH PARAMETERS" followed by site:legacygt.com. For example, if you want info on what kind of oil to use, type "what type of oil site:legacygt.com" into the google search bar. You'll have much better success this way than searching on the site.

So you bought an LGT huh? OK (you poor bastard...).

Change your oil regularly--every 3k miles with oil of your choice is fine. Most of us here recommend Rotella 5w-40. Available at Advance Auto and Walmart, Walmart sometimes has it in quart bottles and both have it in gallon jugs. It's cheap and these cars love it. Steer clear of Mobil1 5w-30. Check your oil level regularly as these cars sometimes like to burn it, and running low on oil will potentially damage your turbo and your motor.

Also, check the banjo bolt on the back of the head near the turbo. Either replace it with a new one with a fresh filter or remove the filter entirely from the stock bolt as these are known to clog up sometimes and kill turbos.

So you want to make your LGT faster? OK (your doomed, just FYI. Turn back now, I warned you).

First step is stage 1, which is just a tune--either via Accessport w/ an off the shelf tune or a custom tune via etune or form a road / dyno tuner. Next is stage 2. If you have an '05/06 this means replacing your up pipe with a catless version and also replacing your downpipe with an aftermarket catted or non-catted version. If you have an 07-09 you won't need to replace the up pipe, it's already catless--just get an aftermarket downpipe. After that is stage 3 which involves a new turbo and other potential supporting mods if you wish (fueling, headers, etc). You can add an aftermarket intercooler or reinforce your stock intercooler at any point during your upgrade path. At stage 2, you'll want to at least reinforce your intercooler if you are not upgrading it.

Generally accepted thingies when upgrading these cars:

-An aftermarket intake won't help you produce more power until you are at least stage 3 (some say around 350-400hp before gains are noticeable). Don't waste the money unless you just like the wooshie noises :)

-Catback Exhaust. Similar to an intake, not really a restriction until you are into stage 3 territory. Do it for teh noise.

-Use new exhaust gaskets when you swap out parts to prevent leaks.

-Install a rear swaybar, it'll make a world of difference for about $400 if you do the sway bar, endlinks, and reinforcement brackets.

There ya go. That's what I can think of right now. Now go read these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just being a realist here (I think the write up is good), but most of the "new guys" skip all the existing stickied informational threads, hence the 100 posts about intakes etc. No amount of stickied threads will eliminate the questions from the new generation of "instant gratification" type people who are being conditioned by the internet and social media that finding information (research) doesn't require effort - just post a question and someone will eventually answer.

:iam:

Too bad during registration you can't force signups to read a handful of threads before being able to navigate to other sections of the forum.

Just being a realist here (I think the write up is good), but most of the "new guys" skip all the existing stickied informational threads, hence the 100 posts about intakes etc. No amount of stickied threads will eliminate the questions from the new generation of "instant gratification" type people who are being conditioned by the internet and social media that finding information (research) doesn't require effort - just post a question and someone will eventually answer.

Too bad during registration you can't force signups to read a handful of threads before being able to navigate to other sections of the forum.

Well you have to take the good with the bad. More people more dumb questions.

As some have mentioned with increasing frequency, this place is getting a bit of a nasioc vibe to it lately--lots of funny guys giving crap answers.

QFT. it's not that hard to help people out, even if it's as simple as providing a link to a relevant thread that you know of.

good post BMB

Well you have to take the good with the bad. More people more dumb questions.
I realize that, and clearly I am showing my age. When I was younger and getting into cars, you had to do a lot of research to figure stuff out. Now with current technology (internet), I did what felt natural when deciding to mod my LGT. I read sites like this for a few months before spending money, and developed my own "mod plan". I didn't need to post questions that have been answered 50+ times in the last month because I found those responses in my own research.

Lost are the days of people learning to be more self reliant. Today's youth often don't want to understand things, they just want to get them done quickly so they can move onto the next task at hand.

I realize that, and clearly I am showing my age. When I was younger and getting into cars, you had to do a lot of research to figure stuff out. Now with current technology (internet), I did what felt natural when deciding to mod my LGT. I read sites like this for a few months before spending money, and developed my own "mod plan". I didn't need to post questions that have been answered 50+ times in the last month because I found those responses in my own research.

Lost are the days of people learning to be more self reliant. Today's youth often don't want to understand things, they just want to get them done quickly so they can move onto the next task at hand.

there is no doubt about that

At least us old guy's know how to copy and paste the link to the sticky's.

So true :lol:. nice n short, to the point info Mike, aka BMB

Additional info, for all you guys that decide to mod and go stage 2+, contact BMB when you buy your new DP, he will take your OEM catted DP off your hands and pay you nicely for it.

-Install a rear swaybar, it'll make a world of difference for about $400 if you do the sway bar, endlinks, and reinforcement brackets.

Makes that big of a difference eh? Guess I should hurry up and mock mine up and weld together some reinforcement brackets.

This is true, but it does make it easier to just link to one thread instead of 5.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived