LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it did not looked creased at all to me like how it looks now but yeah, I bent it back up. Glad the mounting points have the wiggle thanks to the rubber isolators.

Took the car for a spin and the first pull popped off the TB hose. I stopped following directions and things got better. I marked the alignment of the TB hose and then took the whole TMIC off and secured the TB hose to the intercooler first using two hose clamps (note: I think this should be a much winder, single clamp since the force of the air pushes down on that hose anyhow). It slid in place on the TB super easy with some lube and now holds 18psi just fine. Sweet.

So, now the issue is the splitter. Has anyone with an Outback used the mentioned spacer solution? I question that alignment with a spacer since all the hoses now align just right as is. The rear seals and I don't see there being slack enough on the hoses to just space-up the front (esp. the TB hose which is kinda flat anyhow). I guess there is only one way to find out. I do have a bunch of washers laying around after taking off the Perrin! I am also going to see if there is a larger option for the wrap-around gasket.

• Moderators

You could also just add some stick-on foam/rubber of some sort to the TMIC core itself so that the splitter makes contact all around.

There's at least a few decent ways to solve that issue. No real need to overthink it, IMO. Just pick a solution and implement it. Done.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Any tune results yet?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

None direct from me. I will say this tho--running the same tune that I had for my Process West, I see no knock or funny business during 3rd/4th gear pulls with a 6mt, so it appears to be flowing at least as well as a process west. I haven't had time to provide further logs to my tuner, but will update with more info once that happens.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Any tune results yet?

I wasn't dyno tuned, I was etuned, and the IC is definitely more efficient. I am on the stock turbo. It's doing really well and my power down low is awesome, but my turbo and wastegate met it's match with the IC. My tuner was only able to push the boost to 17.5 psi because of the decrease in pressure and larger volume of the IC. That said, this could change slightly based on your wastegate since our arm isn't adjustable, and depending on your temperature. It's been pretty cold here in PA during my tune.

I wasn't dyno tuned, I was etuned, and the IC is definitely more efficient. I am on the stock turbo. It's doing really well and my power down low is awesome, but my turbo and wastegate met it's match with the IC. My tuner was only able to push the boost to 17.5 psi because of the decrease in pressure and larger volume of the IC. That said, this could change slightly based on your wastegate since our arm isn't adjustable, and depending on your temperature. It's been pretty cold here in PA during my tune.

They market the intercooler as able to support up to 550 whp. So, on essentially a stage 2 setup I am not surprised.

Still good information. 17.5 psi is pretty damn good for the VF40.

Any tune results yet?

I'll be getting re-tuned on Mar 7th at EFI Logics. Only change tune in July will be the intercooler. I am probably going to run a little bit less boost, but I will post numbers.

Got tuned today by Mikey at The Shop.

Previous numbers w/ Perrin TMIC were 293/319 @19.5psi (EFI Logics)

New numbers w/ Grimmspeed TMIC are 283/301 @18psi (The Shop)

So with lower boost and a lower reading dyno, only lost 10whp/18wtq.

• I Donated Too
Got tuned today by Mikey at The Shop.

Previous numbers w/ Perrin TMIC were 293/319 @19.5psi (EFI Logics)

New numbers w/ Grimmspeed TMIC are 283/301 @18psi (The Shop)

So with lower boost and a lower reading dyno, only lost 10whp/18wtq.

The last time I talked to Mikey, the Shop reads about 5-10% higher than EFI. So you probably gained some power, despite what the numbers say (apples to orange comparison). What does the butt dyno say?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The last time I talked to Mikey, the Shop reads about 5-10% higher than EFI. So you probably gained some power, despite what the numbers say (apples to orange comparison). What does the butt dyno say?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You have it backwards, The Shop reads a little lower. But your comparison is correct, the numbers are very similar to my previous tune with lower boost.

If we add the 5% to my numbers from yesterday we get:

297whp

316wtq

So +4whp -3wtq. Negligible difference with -1psi.

I hate talking about dyno numbers this much, as there are so many variables, and they should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. Overall, I would say the car feels very similar to before, even with lower boost. I'm not sure I would notice with a blind test. I would say the boost comes on a little smother, and holds very clean with a taper to 16psi.

What BPV you guys running with the Grimmspeed??

I got a Perrin, and the vac line out the top is hitting M/C hard line. I've tried rotating the valve but the other side is getting pinched.

I got a Perrin, and the vac line out the top is hitting M/C hard line. I've tried rotating the valve but the other side is getting pinched.

I'm using the Cobb XLE with no issues.

Using the HKS SQV4 BOV. Had to do some minor modifications to get it to fit, but she's working reaaaaal nice now :)

Modifications to fit:

1) HKS Rubber Hose.

Had to cut about 1" off supplied HKS Rubber Hose (Connects from Intercooler to BOV Unit) so that the rubber hose is coming straight out.

2)Modifying HKS Mounting Bracket to clear Hood.

Once i had everything installed, i noticed the hood wasnt shutting as easily as it normally did. So, i just took a hammer and gave 4 or 5 really good hits to bend the bracket down slightly. Once i did that, the shuts perfectly like before :)

I ended up trimming the stock BPV hose in an effort to reduce the angle coming off the valve itself after I rotated it to clear the MC. Still not right as I get the compressor surge when the throttle is lifted.

Not sure if its because the reference line may be pinched on the MC or the return to intake line is partially pinched. Hard to tell WOT.

I've tried adjusting the spring one turn harder and one turn softer but it still surges.

It seems the Perrin BPV is too tall for the Grimmspeed, it worked wonderfully on the Perrin TMIC, but not so much now.

Gonna try the Cobb and see what happens.

having this installed by the BrenTuning guys while the car is in there for some other work. Going to have it retuned at the end of the work, also.

Technically, the only change is going from a Perrin TMIC to the (coated) GS TMIC. However, they're tracking down a potential fuel issue so I don't know how much of an effect whatever they find would have had on my pre-fixed-fueling tune... potentially a lot, I guess.

Either way, I'll have some before/after numbers. Will keep you all posted.

Optimistic my Respons BPV will fit without issue, but also hope to fit-up the HKS SSQV I've had in the parts locker for over 8 years. Always too tall/big for the Perrin.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -