LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately you can not ever be 100% positive. All the re-manufactures will rebuild whatever is returned as a core. So, most of the time you get a true OEM original axle that has been rebuilt. But... sometimes you get an aftermarket axle (like an EMPI) that was given as a core and rebuilt.

Buy local, that way you can inspect and if it is not 100% OEM that has been re-manufactured dont accept it and ask for another.

FYI - I just replaced both front axles (passenger side CV boot ripped) with *New* Cardone axles (not rebuilds) from RockAuto.com.

Price you ask? $45.79 per axle. (Pn: 667355)

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=667355

I marked the camber bolts and disconnected the strut instead - I couldn't easily get the ball joint out. But removing from above worked fine.

No noise, no vibration, no problems during installation - seems to be a perfect fit and it came with new axle nuts. OEM may be better in ways unknown, but they look perfect to me and they seem to work great on my 05 LGT.

I just did the same thing. So far the Cardone axle works great and man it's so much easier than rebuilding the OEM one, which I did last time. I still have that sitting on my workbench in case I don't want to pay $65ish next time another goes out.

Also, whomever (maybe Underdog) mentioned to me that it's easier to pull the halfshaft without messing up the seal if you just drop the whole control arm, thank you! It is SO much easier that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately you can not ever be 100% positive. All the re-manufactures will rebuild whatever is returned as a core. So, most of the time you get a true OEM original axle that has been rebuilt. But... sometimes you get an aftermarket axle (like an EMPI) that was given as a core and rebuilt.

Buy local, that way you can inspect and if it is not 100% OEM that has been re-manufactured dont accept it and ask for another.

How do you tell if its an OEM reman or not? Is there some stamping on the original one that you can always tell?

For future reference: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1440457&parttype=2284

I got this tool from Amazon as well.

I also used both of these. The Beck/Arnley p/n 1033042 along with this same tool that I bought at NAPA for $17. I was amazed the tool was cheaper at NAPA than at Amazon. This particular CV banding tool works great on both the larger and small diameter CV bands. I was very impressed with how well it worked.

Some key points from my recent install:

• 32mm impact socket and air wrench worked great. I had to buy a $5 32mm socket from Harbor Freight.
  • Instead of removing the control arms or popping the ball joint out, I disconnected the two bolts that attach the strut to the wheel hub. To keep the camber alignment settings, I used a pen to mark the location of the camber nut and the strut. Like a moron, I forgot to also mark the bolt head, so I lost my alignment. The bolt head, strut, and nut all have to maintain their original relative position. Oops. I also initially forgot to disconnect the brake line and the ABS line from the strut, so I'm lucky I didn't rip them.
  • I put the vehicle up on a single jackstand. Obviously, this prevented me from turning the steering wheel to rotate the wheel hub. This made removing the axle from the hub a lot harder since the hub could only down downward and not to the side (since the tie rod was still attached). I really had to awkwardly muscle out the axle from the hub.
  • No transmission fluid leaked out until I was reinstalling the axle. I must have tapped the seal with the shaft during reinstall since a 1/2 spoonful ended up coming out. Once everything went back in, no more fluid appeared to leaking.
  • This is a job that is do-able by one person, but you will need some muscle to insert the axle back into the transmission. This is easier with two people, but not mandatory.

It took me 4-5 hours because I was very slow and careful. I could reboot one again in under 2.

Thanks to this thread and a couple youtube videos I was able to do replace my passenger front axle with a torn/leaky cv boot in an hour and a half. Love DIY stuff...saves money and helps with my turbo upgrade funding lol. Got my replacement part from NAPA auto parts and inspected to make sure it had them oem markings/grooves (thanks Msprank and many more members on here) car feels good and no more weird sounds!

That 32mm axle nut was my only struggle...but with pb blaster penetrating, I was able to bust a nut loose...no mess thank goodness lol

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

^2.5 GT of course...took off the 2.5GT badge and rebadged with PZEV hehehehe

Its a loud NA eco-friendly car ;)

PS I had a 09 Lemon 2.5i SE 5 spd and traded it with my 08 GT...SOA helped me out

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to sift through the part numbers and brands is a little overwhelming...

I have an 05 LGT Turbo sedan 5sp AT.

Would someone please list part numbers and preferred brands for;

Front boots, passenger and driver side

Complete front axles, passenger and driver sides

Many thanks,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Further depth... http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_25/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495128001.png

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495128002.png

But you'll need to dig into it to get the actual part numbers. Not hard at all, and useful for your future part number look-ups.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...
The housings are different. Only OEM has the "indentations". Aftermarket are smooth.

Can you clarify the "indentations"? And where they are located?

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Finally getting around to replacing my boot on my 07. Have not driven that much on it since it's been leaking. Any suggestions on where to buy the parts. Here are the avg prices I've found using the list provided here and referencing OF.

28395AG04A Grease Package $28.82 - will get another brand.

28323AG010 Boot Ptj82 $24.96

23242GA400 Band Axle Boot $1.52 $5.21

23242GA410 Band Axle Sft Boot $1.49 $5.21

28335AG00A Snap Ring $3.81 $4.55

28333AG000 Cir Ring $5.48

Total $74.23