LegacyGT.com

JDM GT Rev.B Bilstein Struts+ JDM OEM SpecB wagon springs- me like!

drdave39

At 40K miles on my 05 GT Wagon, the struts were definitely going- and they sucked to start, way too much body roll. I just put on new Conti ExtremeContacts, and their extra grip made the stock lack of damping and too-soft springing even worse. Coilovrs didn't make sense given the miles I drive, the Konis are vaporware, and the Ohlins would be expensive overkill...I was scoping this forum and hooked up with Unclemat, who had the above setup with 6K miles on its way from Japan at a very fair price. He was VERY helpful in sorting through the best setup for what I wanted- a "Gran Touring" setup that would soak up our Ohio roads, but keep it level in spirited driving.

The Bilsteins and new springs fit the bill perfectly. I also had SS brakelines and Hawk HPS pads put on at the same time, and the entire feel of the car is transformed. A realy nice, firm, BMW-like feel, soaks up the road, MUCH better control in the twisties. I am carrying a lot more speed through my favorite curves, and its nice to have the firmer and more progressive braking! I have no doubt that the new Ohlins would be even nicer, but I'd rather keep the extra $ for the light wheels I am eyeing... I am planning to keep this car forever-5 MT Wagons rule!

Thanks Unclemat!

Dave

I feel flattered :)

drdave, your setup is certainly interesting since you're using milder GT Bilsteins in conjuction with stiffer JDM SpecB springs. JDM GT springs while stiffer than spongy USDM stockers, are not that stiff. OTOH, SpecB Bilsteins are rather on the aggersive, so probably not for everyone.

Pinks work with either, but then if someone like you doesn't want to drop the car, your setup really looks like teh winner.

Glad you like it!

Archived