LegacyGT.com

Comparison of USDM, JDM & COBB bars

vel0mac

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump again- thinking about installing the Cobb sways in my 05 GT Ltd, but want to make sure that this will work ok out of the box from Cobb. I've heard that Cobb is no longer offering the endlinks- does anyone know why? It would be nice if they would weigh in on this.... Edited by Rimfaxe
endlink update

worst case ya might can give them a call or shoot an email their way. I remember talking to someone about why they stopped makign their UP but I dont recall who or what medium it was over :lol:
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 months later...
This is exactly the information I was looking for to remedy the same issues you present with the stock suspension. Thanks a great deal for your pioneering work here. So, subsequently, have you found the urethane bushings to be satisfactory? I am thinking of going with the Subaru rear bar and mount reinforcements and adding the urethane front bushings to the stock bar and steering rack. I don't feel comfortable changing the front bar.

This is exactly the information I was looking for to remedy the same issues you present with the stock suspension. Thanks a great deal for your pioneering work here. So, subsequently, have you found the urethane bushings to be satisfactory? I am thinking of going with the Subaru rear bar and mount reinforcements and adding the urethane front bushings to the stock bar and steering rack. I don't feel comfortable changing the front bar.

I ended up going with Cobb front and rear bars and Perrin end links. I really like the Cobb rear bar and the reinforcement brackets that they include in the kit- first rate IMO. The front bar is also nice- both together gave the car a very different feel- almost no body roll.

Some say that the front bar isn't needed, but I changed them both out as a matched pair. It is not a difficult DIY if you have the hand tools, space, and a little time.

• 1 month later...
Some say that the front bar isn't needed, but I changed them both out as a matched pair. It is not a difficult DIY if you have the hand tools, space, and a little time.

Can you do this with the car on ramps, or does it have to be on jack stands?

i did mine on ramps because i heard that was what your supposed to do. other wise the bars might bind when you try to put the car back on the ground due to the suspension being slack when you jack it up.
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

• 9 months later...
read every word on this thread, I still cant figure out if these bars actually work or not? They're priced right and I realized not too long ago I need to upgrade my suspension before I even THINK about more power. The review is good but the problems concern me. I wont be taking the risk of making something designed for my car fit with spacers and washers and things. If its designed for my car it should fit and have no issues.

If its working I'm going to consider buying this thing but if its all crazy and needs all kinds of back yard engineering to keep it from breaking endlinks or wearing things out in 2 weeks.. no thanks.. so whats the word guys?

Agree completly. What's with all the cobb stuff? Whiteline, perrin, cuzco all seem to have better fit and come with renforced collars or some such to add strength to the sube OEM piece that seems to break under the pressure of thicker sways.

So what's the deal? My '08 LGT has 17mm F and 19mm R and I want to go 22mm. That a plan? Oh, yeah, I'll be throwing some eilback pro springs on to lower by an inch.

Mine was installed about a year and a half ago. I ended up using the original end links, so all that was changed was the bar and the brackets. It works great. The handling is superb -- much flatter around curves, less rearend hop and wiggle on the highway when hitting seams and potholes while changing lanes, etc. We are very happy with the upgrade.

My Cobb front and rear have been in for about 1.5 years. I've had no problem with them or the Perrin endlinks. Neither was a difficult install. The resulting improvement to the ride- particularly on turns, exit ramps, etc. was second only to installing my struts and springs. It nearly eliminated the body roll experienced by the stock suspension. Best bang for the buck IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
After I installed my Cobb front sway bar I knew something was wrong with the geometry. Well I put up with the clanking for three years until recently when my stock end links gave out. I called Cobb about the possibility of my front sway being too short. They had me measure it and they confirmed today that the one they sent me was a whopping 2" too short. They are sending me the corrected one right away at no charge. If you think you have the same problem contact them right away because they only had one more left. Now it's time to figure out what end links to get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Got a -05 Limited GT wagon 5 speed. Want to do a little suspension tightening up in the most cost effective method if possible. I'd like to just install all urethane bushing with the stock sway bars. Both front and rear, upper mounts and drag links. I feel that just the bushings should take out any slop if there is any. After 20 years of Solo2 my slalom days are sadly over. I just want a little more feel on sweepers and off-ramps. Can anybody give recomendations and best vendors..? Thanks. Edited by BRP800

• 1 month later...
I'm looking to do the JDM rear sway bar.

Can I use stock endlinks?

I'll just need to get JDM bushings?

Yes stock endlinks work, but they always seemed cheap to me. I'm leaving my stock endlinks on in the rear and upgrading my front ones to Rallitek's. They are the same as factory, just better materials. I'm also stock height still so it depends on if your lowered. I think you only need to put a rear endlink on if you've lowered your GT...not sure about that though, might want to research it. Personally I'd be replacing OEM endlinks with new F/R Rallitek's if I was lowered.

:yeahthat:

The required bushings should come with the bar. I'd recommend skipping endlinks (unless you're lowered), but adding the AVO bracket reinforcements on the rear. I'd also recommend changing the front bushings to poly.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...
Has Cobb started making sways again?

I've been wondering the same thing as I'm looking to get some sways put on my car.

I did find this:

http://shop.group5motorsport.com/cobb_tuning/cobb_tuning_tubular_antisway_bars/924240/i-112432.aspx

Although I don't know if that kit comes with the reinforcement brakets for the rear.

For those that have cobb (or any other) F&R sway bars on their car, how is the handling in the snow?

but adding the AVO bracket reinforcements on the rear.

Definitely +1 on the AVO reinforcements, when I crawled under to install my JDM rear bar I couldn't believe how much I could move the stock brackets just by hand... If Cobb is making bars again, I'll have to add them to the list of mods I need to convince the wife I have to have....... and it is already a long list.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...