LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

(edit - this is for 2005 and 2006 models only)

This walkthrough shows you exactly where everything is, and also how to remove fasteners and parts without breaking anything.

Green arrows, DRL module

Red arrows, panel attachments

1. Lower the panel above the pedals

1. There are three plastic attachments for the lower panel. For the two in each side, turn counterclockwise 90 degrees, and the screw head part will pop out, now you can grab it by hand and pull it out completey.
  2. The middle attachment you must use firm pressure on to pull it out.

2. You will see the DRL module on the firewall with a white and black connector. If you can read the green sticker on the top it will say "DRL" on it.

3. Pull the white connector out only, secure it so it does not rattle, perhaps with a zip-tie as shown

4. Put the panel back.

1. Just push the middle attachment back in
  2. With the "screw head" part of the black attachments extended, push it into the two holes on the sides. Then push the screw head in to lock it into place.

DRL1.jpg.64509748b68ce4c52b4d91622925ba64.jpg

DRL2.jpg.f068ddec8d6e97db19b39c5a3fec00a3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just wondering, why do people dislike DRL's so much? I don't have a problem if people do the mod, just wondering.

I found myself driving around without my headlights one time. Which is stupid. (my fault, not the cars) Without DRL's I would have realized I didn't have headlights on.

also, it's a pain to have to use the e-brake to turn off the drl's.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

I found myself driving around without my headlights one time. Which is stupid. (my fault, not the cars) Without DRL's I would have realized I didn't have headlights on.

I got pulled over the other night because my tail-lights weren't on :eek: . No ticket, but I had to explain the DRL thingy. The cop thought the car had some bright DRLs :lol:

Just wondering, why do people dislike DRL's so much? I don't have a problem if people do the mod, just wondering.

There are several reasons to hate DRLs. First, as other posters have pointed out, they make it easy to drive at night with your taillights off. Second, as a former motorcyclist I liked the fact that my DRL made me more conspicuous on the road during the day. Once a significant percentage of cars have DRLs that safety feature is negated. Finally, and most importantly, it dumbs down the process of driving a car, requiring less thought, and therefore less focus, on the job at hand. I WANT to be responsible for operating the lights so I have to make a conscious decision about whether or not to use them based on light/traffic/weather conditions. As the car takes over more and more responsibility for the its own operation it requires less effort, and therefore less competence, from the driver. Where's the fun in that?

Finally, and most importantly, it dumbs down the process of driving a car, requiring less thought, and therefore less focus, on the job at hand. I WANT to be responsible for operating the lights so I have to make a conscious decision about whether or not to use them based on light/traffic/weather conditions. As the car takes over more and more responsibility for the its own operation it requires less effort, and therefore less competence, from the driver. Where's the fun in that?

Exactly why I dont like using Auto Light and Auto Wipe on my Lexus and Merc. Most times the decisions made by the computers arent to my liking anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I will disbale the drl for xenon purposes. what i can't understand is why didnt subaru make the highs DRL at like 30-40% power like everyone else. i would love to have drl and xenon functionality, but i guess i will have my xenons on all the time with all the other lights on which is just STUPID. just like how STUPID it is to get at the license plate bulbs. There is a lot of STUPID designs in this car and i have a feeling i'll come across more in the future. im having a love hate relationship with my new legacy. its just not friendly when it comes to messin with things.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 4 weeks later...