LegacyGT.com

how to fit Brembo + R180 rear end on BP/BP + BE

supermoose

so BE and BP are same, and both do come OEM with brembo and R180 rear end in japan...

im thinking if i buy the entire rear X member from a 2004 sti it will give me:

r180 diff and impreza length axels (may or may not be proper length for legacy). oem r180 is avail in 4.44, 3.90, 3.54 and we can fit any of those gearboxes in our legacy

r180 hubs for impreza will NOT fit on multilink rear. BUT i had the idea of:

dissasemble R180 impreza hub, use the backing plate for R180 size e-brake AND direct bolt on brembo, and then re-assemble with spline holder assembly of impreza instead of legacy - this will make our multi-link hubs R180 axel diameter (bigger than r160 axel)

JDM BP/BE s401 r180 6mt driveshaft can be fitted with a 6mt, OR we can use a 5mt impreza driveshaft (it should be shorter than BP/BE driveshaft to accomidate extra length 6mt) and then re-drill R180 diff imput flange to fit or swap to r160 imput flange.

anyone have diagrams of BP or BE hubs?

• 3 years later...

this is exactly what I am trying to attempt or determine. Did anyone figure this out? The issue I see on the BE at least is the use of the ABS tone ring where the BL/BP has the magnetic ring in the bearing.

Does anyone know if the rear abs ring comes on and off and can be put onto different axles?

thanks!

Ben

This is unfortunately not a bolt on affair. Even if I were to weld up the holes and re-drill them, they would essentially by right on the rim of the backing plate and I would not trust that mechanically. Any more work than simply welding and re-drilling that bolt pattern is enough for me to just go the adapter bracket route even though I was trying to avoid it.

The only other possibility is that the 2-pot rear backing plate has a smaller opening and therefore more material to re-drill but that doesn't solve the e-brake issue which is the whole problem.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/whitemagicbmc/hub%20measurements/DSC00268.jpg

Ben

R180 as well would be the ideal situation. That has little to do with the backing plate in this scenario though.

The solution to run the R180 would either be a hub conversion which I already determined would be possible but not a direct plug and play solution. Or the other solution is Spec B axles with BE/BH outer stubs which is the way I would likely go.

I'll still end up running an R180 but will have to go with an adapter bracket because it is more cost effective.

Ben

Archived