LegacyGT.com

What did I break this time!?!

So earlier today I was taking a corner on an snow packed road near my school. When I turned I last control and ran up onto the sidewalk. I hoped out and every thing looked and sounded fine. Then driving down the road I noticed that my steering had become really loose and sloppy. Then I noticed that I had to hold the wheel at about a 60 degree angle in order to keep it going in a strait line. So what exactly did I break and how much is it going to cost to have to fix?:cool:

There are a few things that could have happened, bent control arm, tweaked knuckle, rack and pinion rod end could be bent. You have to do a visual check before anything else can be determined on cost or labor..could cost 100 bucks or 1000 or more, just got to figure out whats damaged.

Get under there and check it out, see if anything is obviously bent or broken. If you just need to replace the control arm or something it's not that hard to do it yourself and you can pick up a used one for probably no more than $50 at a junkyard.

also i noticed your boot on the rack inst attached, or ripped, the one that covers the inner tie rod, if there play with the car running or off, you can rock the steering wheel back and forth to see if theres lots of play in the rack/ inner or outer tie rods. Or even better and for ball joints jack up the front end and check,

Archived