LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

Unplugging the battery does not reset the learned shifting behavior of the TCU. The only way that can be achieved is via the dealer SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) tool, or FreeSSM if your transmission is supported. And yes, sucky shifting is a reality in very cold temps, at least for a while.

I'm considering placing a temp sensor for the transmission... Is there a decent combination of inline manifolds out there for the temp sensor? Not all that interested in brass and more interested in stainless construction.

I have no issues so far. But mine is a 2013 NA.

Do 4th gen NA and FI guys have same issues?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

even though the needle may show the car is warmed up, there's a good chance the transmission has not warmed up completely yet.

do you have a transmission cooler installed?

A thousand times this. The needle is for coolant. Oil and ATF will take longer to warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i reluctantly had to take my car into the dealer to have my remote start programmed, and while it was in i had them relearn the transmission (08 OBXT). I am happy to remote it made a world of difference, it shifts very smooth now, like i am sure it should with the rev matching, gone are the hard 2-3 shifts and reving, it is a lot more confident feeling and still shifts well under WOT. And they didn't even charge me!

C/N: 08+(at least in my experience) get your tranny relearned if you are having shift problems.

I have a 08 LGT 5AT. I went to replace my blue T fitting so I removed the intercooler. I saw 2 air hoses held by a white bracket that don't connect to anything. Are these breather hoses that are connected to the trans? Or am I missing something? LOL I bought the car used a few years ago and only starting to tear into it now. Thanks! Joe

I'm not sure if this has been asked already...but is a trans brake install possible on the 5eat?

A trans brake on a 5eat would be a bad idea if anyone even bothered to make one for it. If you are after total performance check out IPT they have built 5eats, you can always brake boost which is also a good way to find out if your trans is gonna be a weak link.

149k miles, about 77k miles on the vf52. everything ok so far.

However, judging by your profile description, you have the IPT valve body. We have no such options for the 08/09 as far as I'm aware. At nearly 100k miles on the tranny in my 09, I get that quick slip and overrev when it upshifts under load. Its not bad, just doesn't make me feel very comfortable to add a bigger turbo without any sort of valve body kit.

Still holding out hope (after a few years of watching these forums :icon_frow).

Have you changed ATF at all? If never just get 5q and see if it clears.

and/or

Try some Lucas Transmission Fix next time you do a pan drop. Substitute the ATF volume replaced with the concoction.

It was suggested by climberD a couple years back when we were talking about my car's history.

Another thing is just drive in sport mode primarily. The increased in line pressure helps.

Agreed. I have only used subaru HP in mine. Transmission fix is a last resort but seemed to help in my case. I had 140K and always drove in D 90% of the time. Now that I'm at 160K will be adding another bottle to the next pan drop during my rebuild.

One item to note the Lucas is thick. It takes a while to get it in there. To assist, keep it warm and mix with ATF to help it into the transmission. Place 1/2q in the transmission then transfer Lucas into that same bottle and shake. Once you have some capacity opened up in the Lucas bottle refill it with ATF and shake.

I can get about 5q+ out of the transmission by lifting the passenger side of the car while draining.

i use the cheapest aft oil i can find and haven't has any problems. other than stripping center diffs and rear diff from too much torque.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I don't mean this as being a nag, just honestly curious, what has been the hold up with the 08/09 development? What has been the road block? Is it still being worked? Has anyone ever tried contacting any of the aftermarket companies like B&M or transgo to inquire if a shift kit were possible or ever looked at?

I'm just interested in what the major difference is with these 08/09s.

Edited by ktm200

Transgo or b and m are more focused on performance transmissions that are mass produced the 5eat is neither and is already out of production for intents and purposes their is very little money to be made if any. You should contact ipt and ask if their kit can be used on your car. There is also the possibility that someone has hacked the tcu and managed to raise line pressure that way.

do not contact IPT about a valve body kit for our vehicles, any model year. it is a waste of time and money.

clutch packs and other upgrades are another story, IPT still may be good for those.

Yea I had no plans of even considering the IPT "valve body upgrades". More than a few members have still fried the transmission despite their way overpriced "upgrade". MSpank smoked a newer 5EAT on just a 16g with the IPT valve body kit if I recall. And a 16g isn't exactly big. TranGo makes a 5EAT shift kit but it's listed as only for the 05-07's.

Has anyone had luck doing the upgraded clutch packs with them for the 08/09 (and no valve body work)?

Might message ClimerD. Just curious on what is making this 08/09 such a pain to crack.

I just cringe to think that when I'm due for a turbo, I'd have to stick with stock or risk blowing the tranny. Especially painful when there are so many bigger turbos out there cheaper than a stock replacement.

Don't bother. No valve body upgrades for the 08-09. I've got an IPT valve body and while I can definitely agree it could have been modded to higher performance, it's kept my trans alive for 116K miles, 80K of which have been at Stage 2.

I cant find one person who is willing to touch my transmission to swap f/r ring and pinions from tribeca.

So much for a lower final drive.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

The worst part of it all is that it involved only two parts...ring and pinion.

I compared every single part number. Only ring and pinion differed.

Sucks bad.