LegacyGT.com

My Next Problem: Return Line Leak From Turbo

It seems I'm leaking oil off the base of the turbo where the return line connects.

Is there a way to tight this connection up without removal of the turbo?

I've already re-tightened the turbo strap and the intake lines. So I'm at a loss for where this leak is but from this line.

Thoughts?

As for the amount of oil it's leaking, it's not a steady flow, but rather a drip. I have oil under the car where ever I park. Would like this to stop. Pretty much at my whits end with this car. :(

image-(1).thumb.jpg.05bbd9ec0e745cf0171067c88a36934a.jpg

I had this same issue after my turbo swap. I used worm gear clamps on both ends. I found both 10mm bolts were loose. I finnagled an assortment of sockets, swivels, extensions etc up in there and got it snug.

Seems my leaks are finally gone.....

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

To me, that looks like the gasket for the hard return line that bolts to the bottom of the CHRA. You're not replacing that gasket without removing the turbo. You might, emphasis on might, be able to get at it if you have access to a lift and remove your downpipe without removing the turbo.

I don't think I will be fixing this. Car just nearly overheated on teh freeway.

It's always something... I think I'm going down to the dealership to trade it in. Effing POS.

Thanks guys for your feedback and help.

Looks like a install error... wasn't it tight when it was put in ?

Sorry to give you crap...

I didn't install it shop did while I was traveling. My life is crazy right now.

We are buying a Lexus IS this week and being done with this car.

Did you get a new oil return stem or resurface the old one? The part that bolts to the turbo.

I had a pita time with my new turbo, I thought it was the hose, but the oil stem had warped on the old turbo and did not make a proper seal with the turbo.

From the picture it looks like your oil stem is leaking not the hose because the oil is at the top. If that's the case you HAVE to pull the turbo to get the coolant lines out of the way to get to the bolts. Make sure to use new gaskets and new stem.

Did you get a new oil return stem or resurface the old one? The part that bolts to the turbo.

I had a pita time with my new turbo, I thought it was the hose, but the oil stem had warped on the old turbo and did not make a proper seal with the turbo.

From the picture it looks like your oil stem is leaking not the hose because the oil is at the top. If that's the case you HAVE to pull the turbo to get the coolant lines out of the way to get to the bolts. Make sure to use new gaskets and new stem.

I don't know. See I didn't do the work and the shop closed up 2 weeks ish after the service was done.

Either way the car is going bye-bye it's been the biggest pile of crap car I've ever owned. Learned my lesson. Never waste your money rebuilding a motor. This car was to go another 50-60k, it's at 118 now. Last summer dropped $6k on motor. Just dropped money on new tires, turbo etc.

I'll never touch another Subaru again.

I checked the coolant, it's not low. So no valid reason why it overheated.

Sadly I actually enjoyed the look and drive of the car these last 6 months. They're just too difficult to work on and too poorly designed to keep as a primary car.

Archived