LegacyGT.com

Who makes our 17in stock Subaru wheels?

minitech

Recently, i decided to professionally repair and repaint my 2005 Stock GT 17 in wheels. After some research i found that most auto manufactures have some one else make their wheels for them (even the cheap ones). From what i have read about other Subaru's on other forums, many times they will use Enkei and not post it on the outside of the wheel anywhere. This is not that uncommon for Japan manufactures as Honda and Toyota both use Enkei on wheels that do not have a logo on them other then inside the lip or on the back. Does anybody know who makes our stock wheels ?

photo04.jpg

I'm 90% sure it's Enkei as they manufacture most of the japanese vehicle's OEM wheel

They are one of the, if not the, biggest wheel manufacture

Yeah that's what i have been reading too, like you said, they make a ton of wheels for OEMs.

The weight is too not bad on them either, its one reason i decided to repaint and keep them for now. Its supposedly 20.5 lbs on the Wheel spec list at Nasoic.

Agreed, i used to sell Mini Cooper wheels that were in our catalog when i worked in parts. They were always either BBS or RONAL (both german manafactures who make a lot of bmw group wheels). What was funny to me was not that the BBS was lighter (as expected that with the metals they use) but more that certain RONAL wheels would be lighter. i never understood why. We had a wheel called an "S-light" (such a play on words) because it was one of the most heavy of all the wheels we sold! Now, i have been enlightened as to the reasons why some wheels are heaver then others.

Thanks, yeah i worked for MINI and bmw 4 years parts and 2 years as a service technician until December. I agree they are fun and drive fantastic, but they definitely have a lot of issues that can be rather expensive to fix. Timing chains that last as little as 30K is a good example of this (R56,57,55 and 60 turbo motor only). Are you still leasing it ?? And is it under warranty? My suggestion to my friends that really want a MINI, is either lease them or buy them and get the extended factory warranty (same with any BMW group car). Having said that, i am amazed at how good their gas mileage is considering the power that they put out, it just sucks that the reliability hit or miss.Thats why i sold my 3 series, it started dollaring me to death and it wasn't an old car at all. It really shocks me how well Subaru's are made for the money though and how easy they are to work on too. Not to mention the parts cost it also less most of the time. (Heck the oem Turbos are half the cost of a MINI turbo). Almost every thing i have run into on my Legacy has been pretty straight forward and not overly complicated compared to other makes especially German. And its still a fun car to drive!

Archived